Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Lines on Nail

Black Lines on Nail

Hi, I have been treating my toenail for a fungal infection, it seems to be clearing up but now I’ve noticed two lines on it. Not sure if it’s been there a while and is part of the infection or it’s something else. They are two small black vertical lines, they look like they could meet to make the one big line. That’s what I’m terrified of, not even sure if that’s a thing but keep looking at and reading about nail cancer. Has this happened to anyone?

Black lines on Nail

Hi, I have been treating my toenail for a fungal infection, it seems to be clearing up but now I’ve noticed two lines on it. Not sure if it’s been there a while and is part of the infection or it’s something else. They are two small black vertical lines, they look like they could meet to make the one big line. That’s what I’m terrified of, not even sure if that’s a thing but keep looking at and reading about nail cancer. Has this happened to anyone?

Re: Black lines on Nail

I’m going through the same thing, so I’ve read into this quite a lot! Apparently it’s not uncommon for fungal nails to carry debris which can appear grey or black. (As in my case too)
    But it could also be blood. We can injure our big toe without even being aware we’ve done it...such as by wearing ill fitting shoes, running etc. That can produce blood under the nail which can look linear and black.

Toenail melanoma is INCREDIBLY rare! A GP can work 10 years and only see it once!
    It’s very, very likely that what you are seeing is just blood and will grow out with the nail. It may also start to disperse soon which might look like “spreading”...but it’s just the dried blood moving under the nail.

One thing that reassured me is that IF it were melanoma, the line would have to be vertical AND start from the bottom of the nail, right at the nail bed. If it starts part way up the nail, it can’t be melanoma. (But even if it did start at the bottom, it still is likely just to be blood)

Re: Black Lines on Nail

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Black lines on Nail

Hi, sorry not been in here in a few weeks, trying to stay off the internet and stop googling! Was not worried or thinking about it for a while not tonight I can’t stop looking at pictures of lines on nails. Mines seems to not be growing out, the infection doesn’t seem to be clearing up and now I’m convinced it’s melanoma! It’s vertical but starts half way up the nail, I thought maybe it were two lines but think it might just be the one but part is hidden by the nail infection. How are you getting on?

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:04.

It’s probably splinter hemorrhages. I get them all the time.

I should go to the doctors, I’m just too scared. How long do splinter haemorrhages take to grow out?

A long time, normally mine grow out with my nail. They really aren’t anything to worry about. You can easily get them.
    Every time I get my nails done I get a lot of them and I never knew what they were. I get them a lot, in fact there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t have one or more for some reason. I have seen the doctor and I also saw a dermatologist. I really don’t think you have anything to worry about but if you feel you need to see the doctor then make yourself an appointment but don’t go googling for information about them.

I know, no more googling, sometimes I can't help it though! I’m trying to be rational about it then all of a sudden a wave of panic will come over me about it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information