Page 5 of 164 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: My Current Numerous Worries

Re: Yellow nails, image attached

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    What happened with your CBT? I still don't understand how therapy works in the UK. Is there an option to just find a therapist and go to them? I was just as bad as you and therapy did wonders for me. It's not cheap here, but it was essential to my health and the wellbeing of my family so we put it on a credit card. Sucks, but that was certainly better than be being debilitated with anxiety. It wasn't even CBT, just talk therapy consistently over many months with check ins. Then I realized I really need to go consistently so now I still go once a month even when I feel fine.

And what about medication? Your anxiety is severe but it's an illness with a cure. You never seem to follow through with treatment and that's why you aren't getting back to your logical side.
    Erin,

We can go private whenever we like for mental health treatment like therapy. One of the drawbacks is that, aside from a couple of reserved job titles, it is an unregulated industry. You can take a 100 hour online course, never see a client and be a fully qualified therapist/counsellor in months and even join professional-looking associations (some are actually part of the online schools so make themselves appear more credible) to look like you know what you doing. The NHS tell us to be careful with this and look towards a handful of trusting registers like BACP who have a framework that includes minimum client treatment hours and ongoing supervision.

Getting into therapy, and certainly CBT, is as easy as a quick Google search and phone call. With private you might be in within days. But you have to do your research first.

With the NHS though you just see your GP or self refer (if you are under the IAPT framework which covers England). They can refer you to the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT). These guys do the outpatient stuff but they cover every form of mental health issue (they are multidisciplinary with nurses and psychiatrists as well as some community support roles) therefore you can expect a long wait in a queue with people who have not satisfied an inpatient need (Sectioning). Some CMHT's won't even touch anxiety due to funding. A 12 month wait to start treatment is likely (or longer). If you are under IAPT thought this system was brought in to sit between a GP level and CMHT level and provide faster access. About 30 days for Level 2 (self help levels based on CBT for maybe 5 sessions) but it may be more like 3 months for Level 3 (High Intensity CBT, potentially 10-15 sessions over a longer period with a higher trained professional). IAPT represents a CBT strip down though, which it has been criticised for, so it's a bit one size fits all compared to CMHT where they can combine therapies and for longer periods. IAPT people are mostly CBT trained.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    This is a pattern with Helen and a few others here, like Darkside, we can reassure and try to comfort them but it's like they do even read it. As pages and pages of responses continue and the OP still doesnt acknowledge the help offered, irritation sets in.

So if the OP is known to ignore help offered, what's our best course of action?

Personally, I am here every day looking for an update from J2 about Gavin. 🙏
    I find Nancy W to be a persistently negative force in this forum. She has no decorum or patience or compassion towards any other users.

But she's currently supporting a member whose child has a brain lesion...after going through a similar experience herself. I think that shows huge compassion in a very emotive situation.

You will dislike many of my posts as well but that's ok with me. We all have different takes on HA but I'd like to defend Nancy because some posters just don't see help as being anything more than an exercise in limitless reassurance and comforting words. If this helps them get better then so be it and that's great but evidence suggests otherwise.

Hi all, had a few good days using distraction techniques. Haven't checked breasts in over a week. Some polish on nails has chipped and I saw the yellow is still there so it triggered me. I haven't googled but instead come here.

I've said before, I'm on 4 month waiting list which I believe leads me to Feb. That's as priority as I'm a Mum apparently. I self referred and recently been highly considering medication but I can't get an appointment at my GP for three weeks which is lovely. I referred, waited weeks before an interview for CBT, then more weeks before an assessment and that was only because I was calling them daily and leaving voicemail because nobody answered. Mental health in UK is a joke unless you can afford private which I can't.

https://ibb.co/FDcbzWd

Are these horizontal lines/beau's lines? I've read it's a sign of cancers, what if it's linked up to the yellow stains?

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    https://ibb.co/FDcbzWd

Are these horizontal lines/beau's lines? I've read it's a sign of cancers, what if it's linked up to the yellow stains?
    Helen you have been down the nail scares before.

Go back to your distraction techniques as they seem to have worked for you.

You are fine, you have to believe it for yourself.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    I was about to say I'm proud of you for not googling... then saw this, which is the truth? Pretty disappointing Helen.

I have fungal toenails but the past two years and worry that's it's spread to my fingers. Does my yellow stains look like fungal?

Speech

Lately I've noticed a few speech indifferences where I've mixed words around or spoken incoherently. Today I wanted to get my child's feet measured and said I'm here to get shoes sized instead of feet measured and just I said the whistle was chimney and not chimney is whistling

Re: Speech

and? it is compleyely normal

and been meaning to ask, how are your partners testicles?

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Page 5 of 164 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information