Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started up my escitalopram (Lexapro)

Re: Started up my escitalopram (Lexapro)

Maybe cross taper to something else eventually? Ian would be the one to ask about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    But I remember it almost constantly from last year when I was on it. So I may have to look into alternatives :/ but it helps so much with the anxious thoughts that I’m torn.
    If it persists you could try switching to citalopram (Celexa). It contains the same active chemical, the 'S' isomer of citalopram, aka escitalopram, the difference is citalopram also contains the 'R' mirror image form of it which is a poorer fit biologically and so is mostly inactive. However, the 'R' isomer can produce slight differences in the side-effects each med produces. I can't guarantee it will resolve the drowsiness, or carb cravings, but switching to citalopram will be far easier than to another med and any change in the side-effects should become apparent within a week or two.

Thank you for the information. I believe I tried celexa prior to Lexapro but felt it wasn’t helping me. Of course - I may not have given it enough time. For the past two days I took my lexapro dose around noon and I noticed I wasn’t as sluggish during the day. It was easier to get up and about and take care of what I needed to. But I still definitely could take a nap at any moment it seemed. So going to try it for a while longer at this dose and see if it help. In a pretty bad health anxiety spiral right now worrying about myself, my husband and my two small kiddos so I’m really needing it to help me some until I can get up the courage to see a therapist. I’ve never been but it feels like my anxiety is getting worse and it’s starting to really affect my life in a negative way.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I believe I tried celexa prior to Lexapro but felt it wasn’t helping me. Of course - I may not have given it enough time.
    It typically takes 4-12 weeks for ADs to kick-in from when a therapeutic dose - 20mg for citalopram, 10mg for escitalopram - is first taken.

So going to try it for a while longer at this dose and see if it help.
    Given you've been on ADs before escitalopram may take a little longer to kick-in than the last time.

In a pretty bad health anxiety spiral right now worrying about myself, my husband and my two small kiddos so I’m really needing it to help me some until I can get up the courage to see a therapist.
    Therapists and therapy are nothing to be scared of, just the opposite in fact. Plus, remember you're the most important person in the meetings. Therapists are just the hired help, someone you're paying, directly or indirectly, for services rendered. That goes for GPs/PCPs and psychiatrists too.

I’ve never been but it feels like my anxiety is getting worse and it’s starting to really affect my life in a negative way.
    ADs can worsen anxiety (and depression) at the beginning because of the extra serotonin activity, but this usually diminishes after a few weeks as biofeedback mechanisms come into play and begin downregulating serotonin synthesis and expression. Let your doctor know what is happening as the anxiety can be eased with one of the benzodiazepines (BZDs), or other meds such as the prescription antihistamine *hydroxyzine. It isn't as potent as the BZDs, but often potent enough to make a significant difference.

*Hydroxyzine comes in two forms, hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) and hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax). Anecdotally, the pamoate form is claimed to be the more effective anxiolytic, but just how true this is remains a matter of considerable debate in forums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information