Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meds making me so sleepy all day.

Re: Meds making me so sleepy all day.

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Is the tranqullizer the same drug? I have Googled this a while back and I'm sure I read they're different meds.
    You're taking promazine hydrochloride which is also the form registered as 'Tranquazine' by the U.S. government, but there is also another formulation called acepromazine maleate. Slightly different chemically, but does the same thing. Such minor differences aren't unusual, for example, amitriptyline hydrochloride and amitriptyline embonate, imipramine hydrochloride and imipramine pamoate, hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax) and hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril). Often it comes about because a cheaper way of synthesizing the drug is discovered which results in a different salt being produced.

I'm calm, relaxed and no longer angry and anxious all the time. Just asked my partner
    That's because you're asleep! I can't believe that they are prescribing that horrible drug paroxetine on one hand and then knocking you for six with horse tranquilisers with the other....or maybe i can.

At night time I have to take x2 promazine. Within an hour I'm out

I can stay awake and functional if I take the doses correctly. I'm actively working on switching my sleep back to 11/12pm because that helps. I'm thankful I can sleep great at night time tbh. Today has been ok. The mornings take so long to wake up properly. I'm talking hours. By afternoon and night time I'm alive and kicking.

I've upped my jumping rope routines. Every time I do a cuppa I'm on that rope. The tiredness isn't related to that. Infact, that wakes me up. If I miss doses the medication brain fogginess goes away. But then all hell comes back with it.

So what to do? Right now I feel comfortable enough. Do I just take the meds and fight through?

I'm concerned for overall health though. Look at the rap sheet for that drug. Scary!

So what to do? Right now I feel comfortable enough. Do I just take the meds and fight through?
    If the team is unbending about what you're taking maybe you can persuade them to modify how much you're taking. I suspect dropping the night time dose to only one promazine would make a significant difference to your quality of life.

I'm concerned for overall health though. Look at the rap sheet for that drug. Scary!
    Antipsychotics have their place in treating anxiety and depression, but, imho, they should be among the last meds tried, not among the first as is increasingly the case, or for relatively short periods as an acute treatment for when a life implodes.

It may also even out over time. When I was on it, it did. You are seeing some positive signs, even though it’s sedating. I would say that would be worth fighting through for me.

Now that I'm taking them as prescribed and not missing doses I'm whacked

I tried the 1 promazine at night. I woke up drenched in sweat in a state of panic for a good 30 minutes. I won't do that again either.

I tried the 1 promazine at night. I woke up drenched in sweat in a state of panic for a good 30 minutes. I won't do that again either.
    Was this on the night you first lowered the dose? While sweating is a common promazine withdrawal symptoms it is unusual for symptoms to begin within only a few hours of first decreasing a dose, especially given promazine's longish 20-40 hour elimination half-life.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information