Thread: Twitch in one point in elbow - ALS or just health anxiety?

Twitch in one point in elbow - ALS or just health anxiety?

Posting for the first time, 38 year old male.

I have a twitch in a small muscle near top of the elbow of my right arm (think it's called anconeus muscle) for about a 2 weeks now. It's there pretty much all the time, although there are some periods when it subsides. I have no other symptoms, no weakness, only this annoying thing in my elbow. I occasionally feel fasciculations in the same arm, or in some other body parts, but they are really small and go away quickly. I read a lot about fasciculations and ALS (I know I shouldn't have, but ...), and these localized fasciculations seem to be precursor of ALS in some small number of cases (and I know how small are the odds to get ALS in the first place, but still ...).

Couple of years ago, after a period of prolonged stress, I developed a twitch in eyelid, which persisted for good month or so. Since it was a pretty stubborn twitch, I went to see neurologist (who is treating my migraines), fearing MS - he brushed me off. Every once in a while, I would get these eyelid twitches (last time about a month ago), which sometimes would last for months, but I could reassure myself that it's just stress related.

Now it feels different, I'm not sure if this elbow twitch can be stress related. I went into a full blown panic-mode this weekend, reading about fasciculations and stuff, becoming gravely feared about the worst, and almost physically ill with worry .

While I tried to comfort myself, I bumped into this site. While reading the stories, I could relate to a lot of them, but I really couldn't find any story with the isolated fasciculations. I guess I just need a voice of reason (and I did read the sticky post) - this twitch really drove me crazy .

Re: Twitch in one point in elbow - ALS or just health anxiety?

Twitching happens, and it pretty much always means absolutely nothing.

You'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Twitching happens, and it pretty much always means absolutely nothing.

You'll be fine.
    Thanks for the response.

It's me again - twitching on top of the elbow stopped couple of days ago, but not the adjacent muscles in the elbow are on the go ... almost constantly

I'm starting to get just a little more anxious with every little twitch now ...

Quote Originally Posted by rowley View Post
    I'm starting to get just a little more anxious with every little twitch now ...
    Sadly, it's often a vicious circle. The more anxious/stressed you get the more you twitch.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Sadly, it's often a vicious circle. The more anxious/stressed you get the more you twitch.

Positive thoughts
    Yes, I'm aware of that.

The thing is, I read somewhere that the sinister one starts from one place and then spreads from there. So the anxiety crept in big time

Thread Information