Thread: Does your bodyweight make a difference with Dosage?

Does your bodyweight make a difference with Dosage?

Hi All, I've been prescribed escitalopram, started off at 5mg for a week, now upto 10mg for 7 days.

Dr has suggested going to 20mg in another weeks time.

She mentioned as I'm a big bloke (over 20 stone) I would probably need the higher dosage.

Anyone in the same boot as me, does size matter 'mentally'?

I mentioned when previously using citralopram I was on 40mg so I'm wondering whether she's gone for the equivalent escitalopram Dosage

Re: Does your bodyweight make a difference with Dosage?

Hi
    i would have never thought that it makes a difference how heavy you are when it comes to Ad’s . I can understand it with general anaesthetic but not with this .

I m female about 9st and was before up to 30mg on Citalopram so I’d say weight has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo View Post
    She mentioned as I'm a big bloke (over 20 stone) I would probably need the higher dosage.
    ADs don't have a direct affect on anxiety, or depression. They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells which provide the therapeutic response. Weight is only a minor consideration. The more important factor is how quickly the med is metabolised.

Another factor may be the severity of the disorder, at least this is the case in mice. Drug levels in the brains of mice with a susceptibility for depression are typically 3-5 times higher than in controls given the same dose. It seems to be very much the case that antidepressants have few if any effects on those without a disorder beyond maybe provoking side-effects. Mostly the drug just ends up down the 'S' bend.

I mentioned when previously u sing citralopram I was on 40mg so I'm wondering whether she's gone for the equivalent escitalopram Dosage
    That is a more likely reason. Celexa (citalopram) is made up of two isomers, the 'S' form of citalopram, aka escitalopram, which is the active component, and a 'R' mirror image form which is a poorer fit biologically and so is mostly inactive. Lexapro (escitalopram) is more refined and only contains the 'S' isomer which is why the dose is half that of citalopram. Another factor to be aware of higher dose are often needed the second time on a med, and the side-effects can be different than the first time too.

Very informative, much appreciated.

Thread Information