Thread: British in the EU again

British in the EU again

It's not even just anxiety, despite correctly predicting the outcome of the latest election, I feel straight up depressed. I have been irritable, easily set off into tears or stages where I just feel dead inside. To know the country you are shackled to is full of people gleeful over your suffering or who thinks risking your (as in, all of ours') livelihood is worth it for some reasons like disliking foreigners or thinking somehow the UK will go back in time to the "good old days" (these are the most common reasons I have read). I have seen so much hate for people like me, and EU citizens in the UK. I can apply for Danish citizenship next year, but it will still take more than a year to process from that point. And I see no way out, it's done, the worst is going to happen now and I am powerless. I do not trust Boris and co to look out for us in the slightest, I don't think they care at all. I don't feel English anymore I feel like I have no real nationality, the UK apparently doesn't accept people like me or people who moved there in good faith and now have to jump through hoops. But I can't be Danish either for a long time, years of this limbo has been killing me when I already suffer from strong GAD and depression. I can only keep my healthcare because Denmark says we can, what about the other British citizens in the EU? I feel nobody cares about us (including EU in UK people), we're largely ignored. I feel unwelcome everywhere right now, especially England.

I have a flight to London today, to see my family for Christmas. I don't want to go, thinking about it makes me want to cry, but I couldn't do this to my family. I know my anxiety is talking here, but I keep imagining everyone around me are people who think people like me deserve this. I know people with no plans to move abroad who can get Irish citizenship over some fairly distant connections, and it hurts, my heritage is so plain English so no luck there at all.

At least I am not getting deported, but I am still having a huge identity crisis. These years have been limbo hell and I am extremely hurt and bitter. This isn't fair and it is making me deeply resent my homeland which I used to be proud of :( I'm broken

Re: British in the EU again

I'm British. I voted to leave the EU. But for non of the reasons you are fearing. I don't care for a persons race, colour, religion, or nationality. You are human to me. I have German family who live in the UK. I don't speak often to them but I know they had some hoops to jump through.

Has anybody been racist towards you directly? I don't think English people dislike the Danes. I'd be more inclined to think they have a disliking for immigrants from Indian regions more than anything. But, that's the right wing folk. They don't represent the majority of Brexit voters. The media has spun up a lot of clickbait that's caused fear for people too. Try to ignore the media.

<3

I have had racism directed at me in Denmark but not because of Brexit, racists exist everywhere, and it was more someone from a rival company looking for something to attack. I don't agree with the sentiment, but I know I am in the "good" set of foreigners in the Dane's eyes. I want stability more than anything, to keep living peacefully here as I have done for nearly 9 years and for my family in the UK to have the services they need available. I have seen more hostility from the British towards people like me, about us in general, and it makes me feel rejected by my homeland while still barred from fully anchoring myself in Denmark.

I have set up something that filters out anything with certain Brexit buzzwords in, and I tell my family to please not talk about it or leave the news on in the background when I visit (they are happy to not talk about Brexit as they are sick of it). But stuff still leaks through, especially as I work in tourism so I get a lot of curious people from all over asking what will happen with me.

While I am very anti-Brexit, I really appreciate you not responding with cruelty or acting like I am making a fuss over nothing.

Denmark seem to have a transitional agreement ready and some safeguards if we end up with a No Deal Brexit. Also worth noting that as we exit the EU there is protection for UK nationals in the 5 year residency scheme to become an EU citizen. Wouldn't that provide you with some security until you can apply for dual nationality?

What you find when you walk around most places of the UK I imagine is everything is the same as it's been for decades and no one is talking about anything to do with Brexit. It might be very prevalent online and in the media but for most life is just going on as normal. I never hear anyone talking about it in the street or in a shop or anywhere else.

Those that use it to wave their racist/xenophobic tendences about were always there and as always are not worth a moments thought. Like you say, these idiots exist everywhere.

Regardless of what our government do look at what the EU are doing for those who will remain in their member states.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 19-12-19 at 17:16. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by ~Unknown View Post
    While I am very anti-Brexit, I really appreciate you not responding with cruelty or acting like I am making a fuss over nothing.
    I'm a big lovable bear and respect everybody's views

Thread Information