Page 40 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: My Current Numerous Worries

Re: My Current Numerous Worries

I'm now worrying I have corona virus because I have cold symptoms
    Well, seeing as its literally impossible you have this - its the perfect case study to use for you to try doing a mental reassurance list !

1. I haven't been to China.(let alone the area of the outbreak!!! - its a big country)

2. I don't know anyone who has been to China. (let alone the area of the outbreak!!! - its a big country)

3. There are currently no confirmed cases in the UK.

4. Everyone has colds, its winter and now I have one too.

5. It is literally impossible, entirely impossible I have coronavirus !!!

One hundred percent agree, its typical of my HA. One anxiety lessens, another appears. My counsellor has linked it to a need to be in control and I said yes and responsibilty. We also practiced focusing on arm or leg and noticing that we'd feel sensations we weren't aware of. She said HA heightens this feeling so any little twinge we're programmed to panic. It's that thought process I need to eliminate and that's my homework for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    One hundred percent agree, its typical of my HA. One anxiety lessens, another appears. My counsellor has linked it to a need to be in control and I said yes and responsibilty. We also practiced focusing on arm or leg and noticing that we'd feel sensations we weren't aware of. She said HA heightens this feeling so any little twinge we're programmed to panic. It's that thought process I need to eliminate and that's my homework for the week.
    I know that I don't know you in real life, but I've been following you on here for such a long time and I've been in your exact same place so many times. I just have to say that seriously, maybe it's PMS, but I actually teared up a bit at this post because I'm just so happy for you that you're getting the help you need. There were so many times I felt so trapped by my HA and it's just so freeing to finally start to dig out of the hole, even if it's a lot of ups and down. Keep up the good work - we're all proud of you!!

Re: Yellow nails, image attached

Your counsellor sounds perfect for you. You could teach us all a thing or two soon.

Thank you both. I don't want to pretend I've stopped touching and checking but I'm definitely cutting down and taking abck the reins. She asked if it's the thoughts or behaviours I struggle with and I wasn't sure. What would you say about your own? For me it's the sat there, minding own business and then the 'you haven't checked ankle for a few hours/days' and then the compulsion to look and touch. Is it the thought I cant banish or the urge? It was fascinating to talk about my past 'traumas' and how she thinks they link.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    Thank you both. I don't want to pretend I've stopped touching and checking but I'm definitely cutting down and taking abck the reins. She asked if it's the thoughts or behaviours I struggle with and I wasn't sure. What would you say about your own? For me it's the sat there, minding own business and then the 'you haven't checked ankle for a few hours/days' and then the compulsion to look and touch. Is it the thought I cant banish or the urge? It was fascinating to talk about my past 'traumas' and how she thinks they link.
    That's a good question. I think for me the thought comes first. Then, the thought brings the anxiety and the only way to "relieve" the anxiety (even though it never actually does) is to check or google or whatever... So it's thought --> anxiety --> compulsion. Then, repeat since whatever the compulsive behavior is only calms me for a minute and then just ads more "what if" thoughts.

I said that. I said I'll check and not feel it but then feel and feel again until I do. The same with reassurance from doctors. She wasn't happy I asked about my ankle at my UTI appointment but she said its habits only I can control. With doctors reassurance it's only small relief, we said the power is within us as hippy as that sounds. It's literally my mind creating my anxiety and sitting in my ear like a little devil telling me to check, not because I need to but because it tells me to.

Yes. I starts to look a lot like any other addiction when you are able to break it down. You have that little devil on your shoulder saying, "check again!" ... or "just one more drink!" or "one more cigarette!" or whatever habit it is you're trying to break. It's very difficult, but it all comes from the same cloth. When we feel anxious all we want is relief so we grab onto it even if it only lasts for a second. But, every time you reject the urge it will become easier and easier to control yourself moving forward.

Reb, I just wanted to say you're doing brilliantly - I can see the change in your writing and how hard you're trying. Setbacks or no (and there will be) you should be really proud of yourself.

That's how I see it too. I said it's often when I'm alone, it's a sneaky naughty feeling of 'nobody will know if I look' but I'm starting to get the 'what's the point' take over the 'what ifs'. Thanks Blue, I'm hoping I can keep it up.

Page 40 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread Information