Page 68 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread: My Current Numerous Worries

Re: My Current Numerous Worries

What's the best way to prevent panic, if something happens as you fall asleep and you fear it will happen so panic. The pillow mist wafts up my nose and I think that causes the sensation that make me think its a smell.

Using what you learned in CBT is how to prevent panic.

Scenario:

The pillow mist wafts up your nose, you have a sensation, and think "It's the smell, I must have a brain tumor." You then immediately recognize the thought for what it is, a thought. You then challenge the thought with reality. Something like "I sprayed a mist on my pillow and I felt it go up my nose and now I have a sensation. I have a very clear cause and effect. I don't have a brain tumor." You then repeat this over and over again then you go to sleep.

You only overcome this by challenging your thinking again & again & again. It takes practice.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    What's the best way to prevent panic, if something happens as you fall asleep and you fear it will happen so panic. The pillow mist wafts up my nose and I think that causes the sensation that make me think its a smell.
    I used to listen to guided relaxation every night for months. You have to give it a chance to seep I’m so your body remembers how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    Using what you learned in CBT is how to prevent panic.

Scenario:

The pillow mist wafts up your nose, you have a sensation, and think "It's the smell, I must have a brain tumor." You then immediately recognize the thought for what it is, a thought. You then challenge the thought with reality. Something like "I sprayed a mist on my pillow and I felt it go up my nose and now I have a sensation. I have a very clear cause and effect. I don't have a brain tumor." You then repeat this over and over again then you go to sleep.

You only overcome this by challenging your thinking again & again & again. It takes practice.

Best Wishes
    Thanks for your reply. I do this most times and it works but soemtiema it'll cause a panic attack. Tonight I have had Windows and door open and have slight faint wafts of bonfire. My partner says he can't smell it outside but isn't looking for it. Out the front I can smell it very faintly. Every time I go to bed the last week I panic.

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I do this most times and it works but soemtiema it'll cause a panic attack. Tonight I have had Windows and door open and have slight faint wafts of bonfire. My partner says he can't smell it outside but isn't looking for it. Out the front I can smell it very faintly. Every time I go to bed the last week I panic.
    Sure and this is to be expected. Remember your brain has become so wired to react with panic that it's going to take immense amounts of practice and persistence.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Becca, were you able to make up with your ex?

I think the fact I smelt actual bonfire tonight has triggered me too, as though I was right by the backdoor which was open, went out back and smelt it a little so why couldn't my partner smell it if he was outside? Phantom smells aren't faint are they?

And yes we have gotten back together. I was doing amazingly well and here I am again.

Reb... Please?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

HEY, that’s great news! I’m happy for you and I hope things work out for you two!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Reb... Please?

Positive thoughts
    Hi FMP, annoyed I'm here still or its same worry?

Page 68 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast

Thread Information