Thread: Welbutrin XL for anxiety/panic?

Welbutrin XL for anxiety/panic?

I been suffering from anxiety for over a decade.. I went to a P.A. for a psychiatrist because finding one that accepts my insurance is difficult. He prescribed me medications that I find kind of Odd and don't want to take. Welbutrin XL and he also recommended Serequel. They don't seem like medications I want to take and Welbutrin doesn't even sound like it's good for anxiety/panic/agoraphobia... But am I wrong? Has anyone taken Welbutrin or even Serequel for anxiety/panic/agraphobia with success?

regards

Re: Welbutrin XL for anxiety/panic?

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinX View Post
    He prescribed me medications that I find kind of Odd and don't want to take. Welbutrin XL and he also recommended Serequel. They don't seem like medications I want to take and Welbutrin doesn't even sound like it's good for anxiety/panic/agoraphobia... But am I wrong?
    No, you're probably not wrong, especially about bupropion (Wellbutrin). While some with anxiety do well on it, most find it way too stimulating. It can have some almost literally climbing walls. As for quetiapine (Seroquel) what dose was prescribed?

Have you been on antidepressants in the past and if so which ones, at what dose and how long were you on them?

I usually use xanax or klonopin once in awhile when needed... I have tried lexapro.. 10mg. I ended up discontinuing it because I didn't notice much effects from it.. It might have helped and I didn't realize it fully, but I couldn't really tell much.. Maybe i didn't give it enough of a chance.. I think I gradually weened on it and was on 10mg maybe for a couple of months or something like that. Weening very slowly on and off I didn't notice any side effects. The only side effect I noticed was feeling a little asexual at times. I don't even know the dosage of seroquel.. I think he said a low dose.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinX View Post
    I usually use xanax or klonopin once in awhile when needed...
    How often is "once in a while"? Once a week, a couple of times a month, more/less often? And how much does anxiety affect you day to day when not on Xanax/Klonopin?

I have tried lexapro.. 10mg. I ended up discontinuing it because I didn't notice much effects from it.. It might have helped and I didn't realize it fully, but I couldn't really tell much.. Maybe i didn't give it enough of a chance.. I think I gradually weened on it and was on 10mg maybe for a couple of months or something like that.
    The thing to understand about antidepressants (ADs) is they have no direct effect on anxiety, or depression in the way benzodiazepines do. They work by stimulating the growth of new brain cells (neurogenesis) to replace cells killed, or prevented from growing by high brain stress hormone levels. The therapeutic response is produced by these new cells and the stronger interconnections they forge, not the meds directly, and they take time to bud, grow and mature. ADs can take up to 12 weeks to fully kick-in from when a therapeutic dose - usually 10mg for escitalopram - is first taken, plus a few need more than the minimum dose to get a good response.

I don't even know the dosage of seroquel.. I think he said a low dose.
    Was it only being prescribed to help you sleep, or for anxiety?

Sorry I never received a notification that I got another reply... I to him to get treated for panic attacks when im out, and anxiety issues.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're referring to.

Thread Information