Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: True acceptance

Re: True acceptance

YNWA-Please that would be great x

Tell me more ankietyJoe- is it mindfulness with observing the symptom? So really analysing the symptom in a quiet place x

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    Tell me more ankietyJoe- is it mindfulness with observing the symptom? So really analysing the symptom in a quiet place x
    It is absolutely 100% NOT analysing the symptom.

Meditation is most often the practise of focussing on your breathing. When you do this, you will almost immediately notice hundreds of little thoughts and distractions per minute, or little niggles, pains, itches, twinges, sensations etc. Meditation is about acknowledging those sensations and thoughts and then re-focusing on the breathing again. You'll find yourself doing this constantly, but that's the point. It's not about 'winning' at focusing on your breathing, it's about re-focusing without judging yourself for not being able to do it, and also not judging the sensation or thought. So if you feel a pain, you don't think 'I wish that pain wasn't there', you simply acknowledge 'pain' and then re-focus on breathing. And that's why it's hard. Because it's so simple and because your brain will try and distract you constantly, it's hard.

What you are doing though is re-training your brain to NOT over react to things and also (going back to your OP) deeply learning about acceptance.

Most people think that meditation doesn't work for them because they incorrectly assume that you have to empty your mind for it to work. If your mind was empty, it's probably because you're dead.....so that's not a goal.

Haha- what a brilliant post.i have had a lot of people explain meditation to me but as if it is out of a textbook- focus on breathing without judging - but no one has actually explained the without judging like you have- in a user friendly way!

i think most of all- I want to say thank you for giving me hope too- as you completely recovered without medication. I know it was not easy for you - but the fact that you did it - means it is possible for all of us. X

Sorry to ask for you wisdom again but what is the difference between mindfulness and meditation and does it matter which one you do? X

Also if it is just a tummy bug- would this approach still help. It’s quite painful today x

Think of mindfulness as the act of actually doing something with the same kind of focus you put on breathing during meditation. So for example if you're doing the washing up, only focus on the washing up. You could focus on the bubbles, the heat, the texture of the thing you are holding etc. It's doing something in a meditative way, whereas meditation is doing nothing in a meditative way. They work hand in hand.

If you have a tummy bug, meditation can be indirectly helpful as over time it helps relax your entire CNS, meaning your body has more resources to focus on repair and recovery. As long as you are in an anxious state, cortisol is being released which means the parasympathetic nervous system (that part of your CNS that allows you to rest, digest and repair) cannot function. That's also why people who are stressed or anxious always tend to have digestive issues, because their digestion is effectively switched off a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Think of mindfulness as the act of actually doing something with the same kind of focus you put on breathing during meditation. So for example if you're doing the washing up, only focus on the washing up. You could focus on the bubbles, the heat, the texture of the thing you are holding etc. It's doing something in a meditative way, whereas meditation is doing nothing in a meditative way. They work hand in hand.

If you have a tummy bug, meditation can be indirectly helpful as over time it helps relax your entire CNS, meaning your body has more resources to focus on repair and recovery. As long as you are in an anxious state, cortisol is being released which means the parasympathetic nervous system (that part of your CNS that allows you to rest, digest and repair) cannot function. That's also why people who are stressed or anxious always tend to have digestive issues, because their digestion is effectively switched off a lot of the time.
    thanks Ankiety Joe that is really helpful. Now to put it into practice x

Practise is the right word, it's not easy to do but very beneficial. Luckily, it's not complicated, just hard!

I would suggest trying to meditate a couple of times per day, and ten minutes each time in more than enough to start with as it'll feel a lot longer than that when you're doing it!

I would also suggest avoiding meditation apps or guided meditations. They're useful for assisted relaxation, but I personally don't believe they're the best way to practise true meditation as it removes your responsibility to mentally work a little bit.

Mindfulness can be applied to anything you like, as many times of the day you like. It's much easier to slip into your day.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Practise is the right word, it's not easy to do but very beneficial. Luckily, it's not complicated, just hard!

I would suggest trying to meditate a couple of times per day, and ten minutes each time in more than enough to start with as it'll feel a lot longer than that when you're doing it!

I would also suggest avoiding meditation apps or guided meditations. They're useful for assisted relaxation, but I personally don't believe they're the best way to practise true meditation as it removes your responsibility to mentally work a little bit.

Mindfulness can be applied to anything you like, as many times of the day you like. It's much easier to slip into your day.
    sounds like a plan to me- the only query I have is isn’t it running away from
    the symptom a bit as you are directing your attention away from it? But I have so much hope as I know you and Blue Iris found meditation really helpful x

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information