Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: True acceptance

True acceptance

Hi all,

I just wondered if any of you have any tips to help acceptance of the anxiety (and depression) as opposed to putting up with it.

Claire weeks in her amazing book “self help for your nerves,” talks about true acceptance of your feelings will allow you to be free and cure yourself. However, she does stress that you have to truly accept. My approach tends to be to just get on with things despite the horrible feelings but I don’t think this is true acceptance.

If anyone has any tips- that would be great as I want to nail this!! Xxxx

Re: True acceptance

Ah well, this is the holy grail of recovery. We ' put up with' we don't accept. We may think we are but we can still be putting up with. Going out with gritted teeth just to say you've done it. Ok, trying not to grit your teeth, relaxing shoulders, doing everything you should but you're still putting up with.

I discovered Claire Weekes 40 years back and I still don't 'feel' acceptance. I know what to think, I know what to do...but I don't feel it. My acceptance is that I've accepted I put up with it.

Ghost…Spillways

Yes I guess that is where most of us are. It’s really hard isn’t it? X

A good post Mrs Mitchell

I suppose their are certain different levels of acceptance , ignoring anxiety when you wake up and don't want to get out of the bed yet can't stay in it, and choosing to get up and ignore it until your routine of having a coffee or what ever you do eases it.

To getting less moments of epiphany where you feel l cant take this feeling anymore I just cant and break down, then ten minutes later you pull your shit together and realize noting has changed and your ok.

Maybe letting the condition and dealing with its peaks cognitively in a better way to take as much fear out of them as possible are the first step to acceptance.

Putting up with it IS part of acceptance, and possibly the most important part.

In conjunction with that though is doing your best not to attach negative language to your sensations of anxiety.

For example, there is a difference between getting on with your day whilst internally moaning about how you're feeling and getting on with your day whilst internally saying 'this is cool, I know it will pass'.

You would think that ultimately it doesn't make a difference, but it does. A pretty big difference over time in fact. What happens is that every time you 'whine' about how you're feeling (and this isn't a criticism, we all do it), the next time you experience the same sensation you fall back to that negative reaction. If you mentally 'be cool', the next time it happens you will automatically remember that it's a temporary feeling and will be much easier to get on with stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Putting up with it IS part of acceptance, and possibly the most important part.
    Spot on!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Any tips on putting up/accepting feeling sick every morning

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    I just say good morning to it roll my eyes at it and let it ride out, I think acknowledging it directly helps me to not panic. It’s actually just riding on through right now for me but I’m still calm and happy, I know it’s just my body ‘starting up’ if you will. I no longer see it as a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsmitchell1984 View Post
    Did you read what I wrote?

I did - sorry Ankiety Joe- what I mean is specific to the sick feeling- should I just say come on body be sick then on something like that? x

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information