Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowel concerns

Something hard in my lower abdomen. Freaking out.

I'm freaking out a bit. Earlier when I was pulling up my trousers I felt some obstruction or something. SOmething that feels like a tube just below my belly on my right hand side above my pelvis region. I've been rubbing it all day so it feels tender. I dont have this on the other side so I'm concerned. With my lymph node history I worry it could be a very large node. I did feel my groin node from 2007 and I felt it was a tad bit longer, but that's on the left hand side and further down. ALso concerned it's a tumour of some kind......
    Could this be something simple like a muscle since I used that side much more than my left side? Or should I have this checked out?
    I do seem to remember feeling something like this once but not this big

Re: Something hard in my lower abdomen. Freaking out.

Could this be a hernia? Cause it's a bit tender when I touch it. Ugh....aren't they usually soft though?

I've been looking at diagrams and drawings of the abdomen muscles and they all just look like flat layers of muscle but what I'm feeling is a string that feels more bulgy or something. It's like a tight string that I feel when I rub the area. I'm just so worried it's some huge ass lymph node, with my history of that, or some other kind of tumour......

scared88

It could also be nothing. Please remember you aren't a doctor and looking at millions of diagrams is going to tell you nothing factual. If you are genuinely worried, which you clearly are, make an appointment with a GP and get it checked out.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    scared88

It could also be nothing. Please remember you aren't a doctor and looking at millions of diagrams is going to tell you nothing factual. If you are genuinely worried, which you clearly are, make an appointment with a GP and get it checked out.

Best Wishes
    I might go to a clinic tomorrow and hope he can just tell me then and there what it is.....

Why am I like this?

Some swelling or something in my pelvic and up to my abdomen has me all worried and extremely anxious. It does kinda feel like a muscle, similar to how my biceps feel when I flex them. But it's been this way for a while.
    Makes me worry it's a huge lymph node or something.
    But why am I like this? My mother isn't, my sister isn't and my dad wasn't. I'm the only hypo in the family.

So I went to see a doctor in a walk in clinic. Took all of 5 minutes but he thought it could be my colon I was feeling or some parts of my instestine! Is that possible? He didn't seem to have an concerns about it.
    But really, does that make sense? Is it possible to feel intestines and colon through the abdomen?! Especially since I have a bit of a belly.

scared88

Yes, your abdomen is made of skin and muscle not steel. It took all of 5 minutes because there's nothing there to worry about.

Best Wishes

I shared this on another post and it seems applicable here as well.

With health anxiety, you will never receive enough reassurance. Sure, you may receive some reassurance and feel really great but then your mind will begin thinking of things it may have never thought before. You will then latch on to these thoughts and the cycle begins all over again.

Trust me, I have spent the last 2.5 years working through this exact anxiety. I discovered a lymph node on my neck and went spiraling. I was constantly poking, prodding, and thinking about it. I went to two doctors who both said it was nothing to worry about. I then began looking for other lymph nodes. Lo and behold I found a huge lump in my underarm just like you. I was on a work trip in Kansas City, Missouri and instead of exploring the city and spending time networking, I was in my hotel room freaking out: poking, prodding, looking in the mirror to fully understand what it was. It was large (5 cm), completely immobile, hard and there wasn't something like it on the other arm. I spent the entire night snooping around forums just like this for any reassurance. The entire trip was ruined. You want to know what it was? A MUSCLE!!! A muscle that has been there my entire life (30 years) but I never noticed it because my brain didn't care. I was so frustrated with myself that I allowed my time to be absolutely wasted on something that was nothing.

I finally got into therapy and learned that I will never get better unless I learn to challenge my thinking. You need to pause when an intrusive, scary and very real thought about this lump enters your mind. You need to take several deep breaths and then you need to tell yourself a few things: 1) These are just thoughts. These are just words. These thoughts are not reality and 2) I have been to doctors who have said this is not threatening. You have to ground yourself in reality and facts. Unfortunately, if you don't do this, you will continue down the path of repeated doctor visits, tests and eventually madness because you will never receive the reassurance your seeking for something that is actually nothing to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    scared88

Yes, your abdomen is made of skin and muscle not steel. It took all of 5 minutes because there's nothing there to worry about.

Best Wishes
    It feels idk.....so hard too. I would think the colon is And I could swear I feel its thinner at the bottom and then bulges so my fear is a tumour is in there.
    Also always thought it was on the left side and not the right.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information