Thread: What is wrong with me?

What is wrong with me?

My cats recently got fleas. I don't think my mom totally believes that they're there, but I KNOW what I saw. I KNOW I'm not crazy, it was fleas. We treated them all with Revolution and have taken stuff to the laundromat on 2 different occasions already, but I'm still so paranoid that the disgusting little things are still here. I keep feeling like they're all over me, even though I know they can't be bc I shower every other day, and they can't be on my cats anymore because Revolution is some of the best stuff on the market.

But I just... can't shake this fear. Logically, I know there's no reason to fear them as much as I do. I know that there's multiple ways to get rid of them, and even if there was an actual infestation, there's things we can do to kill them all. Logically, I KNOW that they're literally one of the tiniest, most insignificant creatures on this planet, and they really can't hurt me. But every time I think about them being on my cats, my clothes, my furniture, my freakin bed- I just spiral out of control and into a full blown panic attack. Why!? Why am I so scared!? Why can't I man up and just accept that yes, they're gross, but they're puny and weak, and I am a grown, functioning adult human that can literally break them in half with my fingernails?

I hate being so scared of these things, but I just can't help it! What do I do!?

Re: What is wrong with me?

could it because you are worried people will think bad about you remember there was once a stigma attached to people that had fleas in their home and can be embarrassing, don't forget fleas can live anywhere and are sometimes hard to spot, you may have a germ phobia as well.

I don't think it's THAT crazy to be creeped out by the idea of fleas. It's true they are totally harmless and there's no real reason to fear them, but anything creepy crawly can make us feel shivery and grossed out.

A few years ago I found a bed bug in my house. It was crawling across my couch, so I knew it must have just been carried in by my husband, who takes public transit every day, since they do not typically just walk around on furniture and are usually in bedrooms, not living rooms. But, holy hell - I went nuts. One minute I was fine and the next I could not stop feeling like something was crawling on me. We turned over the whole house making sure there were no signs of them and even brought in a bed bug sniffing dog!! (this is actually a thing!) Of course, there were no signs of them anywhere - it had just been a hitchhiker, as they call them, but it took me a really good chunk of time to stop feeling uneasy in my house even though I knew for sure we were in the clear.

Your mind is in the right place because you logically know there's no reason to think they are in your house. You just need some time I think to get back to feeling comfortable in your space.

It's really hard to get back to that place when I keep finding them on my cats. I just now saw 2 on my big cat Butters, managed to kill one of them. God, did that feel good. I wish I could kill them all with my bare hands, pop them like the annoying little pimples they are and rid myself of them forever! But they just keep coming! I'm scared that I'll never be free from those wretched little nightmares that plague me and my cats. I've been using Revolution which is SUPPOSED to be the best on the market, but if it's the best, then why do the fleas keep coming back?
    I'm just... I'm embarrassed and angry and I just want them gone! I hate feeling like I'm either trapped in my own house, or can't go home because there's fleas crawling around! I want to stop being afraid of them, but I also want them gone for good! My cat Cecelia we had for 16 years, and she passed last year. All that time, neither she nor her brother (who is still living. 18 years old. He a old man) EVER had fleas. So why now!?

I really do sympathise. One of my cats is a flea magnet and nothing we do seems to help.

"why do the fleas keep coming back?"

You do know that you can carry them in on your shoes and your clothing from outside, especially if you have a garden or a wooded area, and if your cats go outside they can pick up hitchhikers from strays.

Naturally. Somehow I was sent on a business trip to the field, I did not even suspect how many of them were there.

How are you Dave

Thread Information