Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fluox Restarting

Re: Fluox Restarting

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Imho, lorazepam (Ativan) is better. It's longer acting and dependency is slower to develop. Only use it when necessary as benzodiazepines may slow AD kick-in, but do take it if you need to as white-knuckling through anxiety is counterproductive.
    Thanks, my Dr has completely freaked me out with lorazepam & said it was really addictive so I’ve been avoiding taking it. Was initially taking it to sleep when I was first diagnosed & it worked brilliantly so I won’t be so worried about taking it now when needed. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Conelrad View Post
    PDU offers good advice. I've never had Ativan, but the Xanax that I have, I take very rarely due to the fact that dependency can occur faster than with other meds..It does work for those extreme anxiety periods, but its my 'last resort'. Talk it over with your doctor. If your still struggling, sounds like you could benefit from a short term help...Keep us posted...
    Thanks, will talk it through with the Dr & keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdaze View Post
    Thanks, my Dr has completely freaked me out with lorazepam & said it was really addictive so I’ve been avoiding taking it.
    You've been taking it all your life. It is one of the naturally occurring BZDs found in all foods. Potato tubers are a particularly rich source apparently, as is lab rat food. While the quantities are small, they are high enough to supply the brain with all the BZDs it needs to activate BZD receptors and can reach pharmaceutical levels in those with some liver diseases.

Was initially taking it to sleep when I was first diagnosed & it worked brilliantly so I won’t be so worried about taking it now when needed. Cheers
    The BZDs are not great sleep meds. They work well enough in the beginning, but tolerance to the sedation can develop quickly, sometimes within only a couple of weeks. Fortunately, the anxiolytic effect is mediated via different BZD binding sites which are much more resistant to tolerance developing. The sedating antihistamines - hydroxyzine (also a good anxiolytic), mirtazapine, doxepin, trazodone (n/a in AU or maybe NZ) - are better longer term sleeping pills.

Well you know your stuff. That is really interesting. Based on your feedback I took 1/2 lorazepam & feeling much calmer. Have the energy to do jobs around the house today. Start week 6 tomorrow. Am grateful for all the good advise you guys post. You are helping making the days bearable.

Jan 26 update **Since my Jan 22 update, things have calmed down considerably ! No background anxiety, well, almost none, but very low, if at all. I have not had to have any Xanax since. Stomach issues have pretty much cleared up. I have acid reflux and I'm sure the anxiety put it into overdrive, but with the lessening of anxiety, I'm sure the reflux calmed, however, I believe restarting the Fluox contributed to that also... Sleep is pretty good, once I fall asleep, though, last night took me almost 2 hours to fall asleep and that was with 2 mg of melatonin...So overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say I'm pushing a 7-8....onward and upward !

Well you know your stuff. That is really interesting. Based on your feedback I took 1/2 lorazepam & feeling much calmer. Have the energy to do jobs around the house today. Start week 6 tomorrow. Am grateful for all the good advise you guys post. You are helping making the days bearable.
    Yup, sounds like the Lorazepam did it's thing. Good job taking half of it. I've taken a half and never not had it work for me (Xanax). Your starting week 6...things should start to tapper down (side effects) at this point. Couple more weeks you'll be in the home stretch !

That’s great you are improving so much. What’s really good is that you know the flux works for you or has done. That must be reassuring.

That’s great you are improving so much. What’s really good is that you know the flux works for you or has done. That must be reassuring.
    Yes, it's reassuring. It's kind of a good thing this happened. It showed me that, I guess unfortunately, I'll need to be on the med for life....well, very least, until I retire...How are your side effects, per se, doing ?

The mornings are improving. Not as bleak & gloomy. Anxiety is there simmering in the background all the time. Still forcing myself to eat. I’m walking everyday & trying not to sleep at all during the day which helps my night sleeping. Seeing Psych tomorrow.

Jan 29 Update***Still on a upward trend. Pretty much no background anxiety.Monday was a little rough as I had some serious anxiety causing issue(s) at work, which would have sent almost anyone over the deep edge.Took a 1/4 tab of Xanax due to anxiety causing pretty intense stomach discomfort. Since then feel pretty good. Sleep is still getting better, sleeping a solid 6-7 hours. On scale of 1 to 10, feeling a solid 8. Hope everyone is doing well !

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information