Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluox Restarting

Fluox Restarting

Hi All, I was on Prozac for about 10 years. Due to my own stupid fault, I missed 2 weeks worth of doses (I was staying at 2 different locations due to a family emergency). Anyway, went through bad withdrawal and realized why it was happening. Started back on my dose, but It's like starting all over again. My anxiety was bad, starting to settle, by insomnia came back with a vengeance. It's been 2 weeks since I've started up again, but it's a tough ride for me at this point. Anyone experience something similar when they stopped (intentional or not). I'm hoping the side effects wont last too long, hoping my body will re-adjust quickly as I was on this before....Thanks for any insight...

Re: Fluox Restarting

Have you only missed two weeks? Fluoxetine has such a long half life- I’m surprised it made a difference. I thought it takes about a month to get out of the system.

It was like 16 days. Strange, but the symptoms that got me on the med's came back. Since I've started back on, my anxiety has lessened some what, but my insomnia, which I dont think is caused my the medication, because it's one of the reasons I went on the medication in the first place is still lingering along with hot flashes, chills. I had blood work done like 2 weeks ago and i all came back negative. Maybe, the med's just left my system somewhat quickly and not I have to get acclimated to it...again..
    Last edited by Conelrad; 26-12-19 at 22:01. Reason: added information

Quote Originally Posted by Conelrad View Post
    Hi All,
    to NMP,

I was on Prozac for about 10 years. Due to my own stupid fault, I missed 2 weeks worth of doses (I was staying at 2 different locations due to a family emergency). Anyway, went through bad withdrawal and realized why it was happening.
    Fluoxetine has a half-life of about 6 days so withdrawal symptoms typically come on more gradually than with other SSRIs, but they can be just as severe once plasma levels drop.

Started back on my dose, but It's like starting all over again. My anxiety was bad, starting to settle, by insomnia came back with a vengeance. It's been 2 weeks since I've started up again, but it's a tough ride for me at this point.
    The downside of that long half-life is that it takes weeks for plasma levels to restabilize to a steady-state and side-effects can be worse while levels are fluctuating. All you can do is treat the symptoms. Either a benzodiazepine such as lorazepam (Ativan), or diazepam (Valium), or small doses of the prescription antihistamine *hydroxyzine which is also a fairly potent anxiolytic and mild sedative, would make life easier, both with the anxiety and insomnia.

*Hydroxyzine comes in two forms, hydroxyzine pamoate (Vistaril) and hydroxyzine hydrochloride (Atarax). Anecdotally, the pamoate form is claimed to be the more potent anxiolytic, but just how true this is remains a matter of debate in forums.

my insomnia, which I dont think is caused my the medication, because it's one of the reasons I went on the medication in the first place
    The most common initial SSRI side-effect is insomnia. They are not usually good sleeping pills, though some do have the paradoxical reaction. Side-effects can also be different after a discontinuation.

Well, today is the start of my third week. 1st week wasn't too bad, second week was rough..by the end of the week I was a mess. Insomnia, anxiety got higher, had trouble sitting still. Yesterday was very rough, had an anxiety attack that lasted like 5 hours, was hell. Today I had a doctors appointment, which, I'm felling pretty good today. However, after explaining the situation to my doctor, who was great, she gave me a script for Xanax to help me get through the next few weeks. I haven't had to take any today, as I feel pretty good, but we'll see....

she gave me a script for Xanax to help me get through the next few weeks. I haven't had to take any today, as I feel pretty good, but we'll see....
    Definitely use it when you need to, but resist taking it just in case when not anxious as benzodiazepines may slow AD kick-in. Alprazolam (Xanax) kicks-in quickly, keeping the tablet under the tongue for a minute or so before swallowing can speed it up further, however, the taste isn't great.

Thanks for the info PDU... I'm trying not to take the Xanax unless really needed...

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Definitely use it when you need to, but resist taking it just in case when not anxious as benzodiazepines may slow AD kick-in. Alprazolam (Xanax) kicks-in quickly, keeping the tablet under the tongue for a minute or so before swallowing can speed it up further, however, the taste isn't great.

I'm trying not to take the Xanax unless really needed...
    Okay, but don't white knuckle you're way through severe anxiety. Being anxious is counterproductive too.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Okay, but don't white knuckle you're way through severe anxiety. Being anxious is counterproductive too.
    PDU, you are correct ! While I felt pretty good yesterday, today different story. I made it until about 330 PM and was feeling pretty poorly. As we had no where to go, I broke down and had a half a Xanax. WOW, I cant imagine taking a whole one. It took care of anxiety and put me out for about a hour, which, to tell the truth, i needed. Just waiting for the Fluox to "balance" out. I'm only 1 day into week 3.....
    Last edited by Conelrad; 04-01-20 at 00:13. Reason: correction

I broke down and had a half a Xanax. WOW, I cant imagine taking a whole one. It took care of anxiety and put me out for about a hour
    Benzodiazepines (BZDs) can be very sedating when first taken, but tolerance to this tends to build quickly, often within only a couple of weeks if they are taken regularly. Be extra cautious if in a potentially hazardous situation and definitely don't get behind the wheel after taking a BZD. What dose are the tablets?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information