Thread: Considering hysterectomy for fibroids. Need some support!

Considering hysterectomy for fibroids. Need some support!

As I've mentioned on here a few times, I have a lot of fibroids. They've been growing the last two years and are causing me a lot of discomfort, pain, anxiety, and just generally disrupting my life. Doctors don't take them very seriously and so the course of treatment has mostly been left to me, which I hate.

I have major dear about surgery so leaving the decision to me sucks. But, I have at least 8 fibroids, more than one of them is the size of an orange or larger. I can feel them in my abdomen. They cause gas, constipation, heartburn, and sometimes severe pelvic pain.

I'm finally considering a hysterectomy since I'm still at least 10 to 15 years out from menopause but have no intention of having more kids.

I've made an appointment with a fibroid center and reached out to a second one so I can get a few opinions. I want the least invasive procedure possible.

I guess with this post I'm looking for any experience with hysterectomy for fibroids or otherwise (I'd leave my ovaries ideally), and advice or experience dealing with a semi-elective surgery when you have health/surgery anxiety, and just any moral support you can dish out!

The fact that I'm dealing with this again, after emergency surgery for a 14 cm fibroid in 2011 is also making me really depressed and dejected. I know others deal with my worse/scarier things, but this chronic condition with worsening pain is just really starting to beat me down.

Re: Considering hysterectomy for fibroids. Need some support!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Anyone? Has anyone just dealt with a hysterectomy in general?

Yes,I have,about 4 years ago.I just had the one fibroid but was in considerble pain with it.
    I was in hospital for about 4days,the main thing is to rest loads when you get home,and let others look after you whenever possible.

Yes I had a placenta accreta and had to have an emergency hysterectomy immediately after giving birth. I was in hospital for 3 weeks.

Thanks, ladies! Pulisa, I'm so sorry, that sound so scary and traumatic!!!

Aprilmoon - Did you have a good result after your surgery - are you glad you did it? Was it open or laparoscopic?

'
    Last edited by SnowyGreen; 07-01-20 at 05:04. Reason: closing account

I need help with fear of surgery - Abdominal hysterectomy in the summer

Hi guys. So, I finally saw a really good surgeon/gynecologist about my giant fibroids. I was really hoping he'd say he could do a laparoscopic procedure because that's his world-renowned specialty. But, he said because of the size and location he would not be comfortable with that and I'd need an abdominal hysterectomy. I'm ok with the hysterectomy as I'm done having kids and I don't want these fibroids coming back. But, I'm so, so scared about the surgery.

I had to have an emergency abdominal surgery in 2011 for a giant fibroid that had twisted on its stalk and necrotized. It was so traumatic and the recovery was so long and difficult. I was in the hospital for 9 days because of bowel issues, lung issues, and recurring fevers. Then, I had further pulmonary complications once I went home. I did recover fully within the 6 weeks and got back to work and my life, but the idea of facing that again is very, very hard.

He said I should be able to wait until the summer so it won't affect my law school, but now I will have this hanging over my head all that time!

I have a 5 year old so recovery will be harder and all of my health anxiety stems from a fear of dying and leaving her.

Here comes the catastrophyzing: I'm so afraid I'll die during or after the surgery. I'm afraid I'll have serious complications like a bowel obstruction or a blood clot or a hospital acquired infection that requires additional surgery. I'm afraid down the road I'll get a bladder prolapse, which are much more common after hysterectomy, and need another surgery. I'm afraid they'll end up having to take my ovaries too and I'll go through early menopause (I'm 36) and end up getting cancer or heart disease or dementia later in life as a result.

I'm just scared. And sad that my doctors didn't take my worries seriously over the years so that I could have had this done almost 2 years ago, possibly an easier procedure, and I wouldn't have had to worry about school at the time. I hate this.

How have you guys dealt with something like this? How do you get past the fear of surgery? My rational mind knows that my life will be so much better after this because these fibroids cause me so many problems. I'm just very scared.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hey Erin,

I really think that all the questions you have, many of which are very valid for any woman facing hysterectomy are directed to your surgeon. You do have plenty of time to arrange another appointment, if the surgery will be the summer, and any good medical professional will allow you the time (with your list lol) to go through everything in detail. Thoughts and fears will appear, and you have added reason with the last situation to want to have as many answers as are possible. I had an immense surgery fear, that almost made me NOT have cancer surgery (!!!! I KNOW NUTS) and I spent significant time with the anaethetist beforehand going through my 'what ifs'.

I will say that this is a planned procedure and not an emergency one with all the complications of the last one, and that can make a lot of difference with recovery etc. I would presume that if ovaries would taken you could have HRT ? I'm no expert on this at all, I've only had a C-section on that part of the body, but I know its a very common procedure and most women recover fine and dandy.

Thread Information