Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ski holiday fear

Ski holiday fear

Hi!

I’m off skiing after 2 years off and the health anxiety is starting to kick in. I always worry I’ll cause a major injury or die! I always think back to the actress that banged her head in the snow and died an hour later 😥

Probably not helped by being an only child and my Mum has a fear of loss. She worries about me terribly. As a result, I’ve developed a health anxiety in my 40’s!

I am looking forward to my holiday as hubby and I have an amazing time. But then, as soon as I see the Sky News ski and avalanche deaths that are always inevitable, I worry it’ll happen to me! I’m not very good and always stay on piste.

I worry for my Mum more than myself though!

Any idea how to normalise this?

Re: Ski holiday fear

Do you wear a helmet?

Gosh, yes!! I’m a novice so I’m all kitted up safely 👍

Fear

How do you guys deal with fear?

Fight or flight?

Do you let fear stop you from doing anything or do you fight through?

Awesome. Skiing seems to be a bit like horseback riding, where it's important to wear a helmet and stay within your skill level, in other words don't try to do things you aren't ready for. Honestly, all the people I've known who got hurt skiing (and I know one of those crazy freestylers who do backflips and stuff like that) just ended up with sprains. Not exactly fun, but not super serious, either. Use common sense, and you will be fine!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky16 View Post
    Awesome. Skiing seems to be a bit like horseback riding, where it's important to wear a helmet and stay within your skill level, in other words don't try to do things you aren't ready for. Honestly, all the people I've known who got hurt skiing (and I know one of those crazy freestylers who do backflips and stuff like that) just ended up with sprains. Not exactly fun, but not super serious, either. Use common sense, and you will be fine!
    Thanks Sparky! Yes you’re absolutely right. I’m actually snowboarding but it’s the same principal.

Sometimes that fear just pops in and drowns me. Appreciate it!

If you're a complete novice you won't be going anywhere near a slope that could injure you badly.

Worst case scenario is bruised ass.

Get out there and enjoy it.

Not a complete novice. I’ve been out twice before, it’s just been a while. I can get down a mountain

I stick to blue and green 💪🏼

Well I've been twice, so still a novice!

Anyhow, you're catastrophising a mental worst case scenario based on sensationalised tiny fractional percentage headlines. Imagination isn't reality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information