Thread: Why do I have trouble watching movies?

Why do I have trouble watching movies?

I was unsure where to post this so I put it here (feel free to move it if it doesn't belong here).

For some reason, I get anxiety/attention problems when it comes to watching movies. When I'm reading a book, playing a game or watching an episode from a TV show I'm fine. But with movies it seems like I have a really difficult time trying to sit still and just enjoy the movie. I end up feeling pressured to follow whats going on or I get so anxious that I just beg for the movie to be over soon. I don't know why this is. I know its not a lack of interest because before I watch, I get excited to watch. But I keep losing focus or get anxiety and anxious thoughts just by sitting and watching the movie. And when I lose focus I pressurise myself to pay attention which makes it worse. I've tried a lot of methods to help but all have failed. Anybody know what this is and how to fix it? Thanks.

Re: Why do I have trouble watching movies?

I can sort of relate to this. I'm fine with things that are interactive, but it seems like movies are just too long for something you just sit and watch. I don't really stress over it, I just figure movies aren't my style. It's lots easier to watch a movie at home where you can do something else while you are watching. I used to sew when I watched movies. My sister reads a book, and tries to keep track of two plots at once!

You don't have to put so much pressure on yourself to focus on the movie. I have certainly watched movies with people whose attention wandered off - I knew because they were confused because they had missed a plot point. There's no quiz at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by TaleOn11 View Post
    I was unsure where to post this so I put it here (feel free to move it if it doesn't belong here).

For some reason, I get anxiety/attention problems when it comes to watching movies. When I'm reading a book, playing a game or watching an episode from a TV show I'm fine. But with movies it seems like I have a really difficult time trying to sit still and just enjoy the movie. I end up feeling pressured to follow whats going on or I get so anxious that I just beg for the movie to be over soon. I don't know why this is. I know its not a lack of interest because before I watch, I get excited to watch. But I keep losing focus or get anxiety and anxious thoughts just by sitting and watching the movie. And when I lose focus I pressurise myself to pay attention which makes it worse. I've tried a lot of methods to help but all have failed. Anybody know what this is and how to fix it? Thanks.
    I'm Ok with TV but movies put me to sleep cause there's no ads to keep me interested.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

I recommend Seth Rogans "The Interview". Such a funny film you won't be able to sit still.

I’m somewhat the same way. Doesn’t necessary make me anxious but my attention span doesn’t let me focus on a two hour movie without also doing something else lol - like playing on my phone or doing some sewing.

Yep I'm the same and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way I also sometimes struggle watching things on Netflix with no ads - it's like the adverts make me think "here's reality" or something but maybe that is just me!

Quote Originally Posted by franfhm View Post
    Yep I'm the same and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way I also sometimes struggle watching things on Netflix with no ads - it's like the adverts make me think "here's reality" or something but maybe that is just me!
    And me

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information