Thread: Skipping 100mg for two days- withdrawal?

Skipping 100mg for two days- withdrawal?

Hello,
    I’ve been taking Sertraline for about a year. I was bumped up to 100mg about 4 months ago. Basically I forgot my meds over Xmas and Boxing Day and have since been back on them as normal. My anxiety is high right now and causing rumbling tummy and using the toilet more often. I feel like it’s caused by the missed doses but the internet has mixed results saying 1 or 2 missed won’t hurt while other places saying it will absolutely set you back. What are other people’s views or more importantly their experience of this? I hate feeling edgy and nervous over nothing all over again.

Re: Skipping 100mg for two days- withdrawal?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkii View Post
    My anxiety is high right now and causing rumbling tummy and using the toilet more often.
    The enteric nervous system, the mini brain which controls the gut, and has significant influence on the brain (also the heart and lungs), is by far the most serotonergic organ of the body producing about 50 times as much serotonin as the brain, so can be even more strongly affected by SSRI dose fluctuations.

I feel like it’s caused by the missed doses but the internet has mixed results saying 1 or 2 missed won’t hurt while other places saying it will absolutely set you back..
    Sertraline has a short half-life so skipping two doses could be enough to trigger withdrawal symptoms, especially if you're a fast metaboliser. The symptoms are consistent with withdrawal. They should ease within a day, or two, though the heightened anxiety may remain a little longer until confidence returns.

Thread Information