Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ear muffled and feels 'full'

Ear muffled and feels 'full'

OK this may be on the wrong board, maybe health anxiety? Anyway I'm sure most of you have had this scenario at some point. The symptoms are similar to an earwax problem I had in 2016. The only difference is the nurse saw my ears on the 22nd of this month and said they were clear of wax. So of course I've gone down a huge great rabbit hole straight from Watership Down.

This time its just the one ear. It feels muffled and yet loud noises startle me.And the more sound the more of a jumbled din it is. Oh and the cold hurts it, yesterday after my walk it was quite painful. I've read all about the possibilities and obviously anxiety predicts the worst of them. I did think of something though that I'd forgotten about. Around 10 years ago I was diagnosed with perennial rhinitis. I still have nasal polyps though they are dormant but I can still feel something there. Anyway apparently ear problems can be a complication of rhinitis and about a year ago I stopped taking loratadine when new guidelines came out about not wasting GP's time by prescribing drugs that can be bought easily. They were taken off my repeat list.

So to cut a long story short, I've booked an appt with the GP for Thursday afternoon. The anxiety though has taken off big time, how foolish to believe life might become easier?

Re: Ear muffled and feels 'full'

Do you think it might be a bit of age related hearing problems? I have one ear that is more muffled than the other. Yet loud noises still get through and if the pitch is right, actually feel like they hurt and sometimes things sound echoey.

I went with tinnitus about a year back, Dr. said it was wax so I had them syringed. All ok but I ve still got the ringing. Im sure the Dr. can shed some light on what the problem is but in the meantime stop digging yourself further into the rabbit hole. It's a very weird place, just ask Alice.

Ghost…Spillways

Hi Darksky. It could well be age related, though at this time of night with everything quiet other than the TV it feels like nothing is wrong. There's certainly no hearing loss because I've done half a dozen online hearing tests, they all came back as within normal range. I'm sorry you have tinnitus, ears are no laughing matter are they.

Hi Fishman,

I've had a issue like this on/off for years for me personally it was from a few different reasons, one was from having sinus issues and it lead to my ear being clogged up. Another was my ear-drum had gotten inflamed-- or another time I got a door to the side of the head (don't ask lol) it cause light bruising to my inner ear. All I'm trying to say is I've felt the very way you have without the cause being ear-wax. I could writse those words myself about feeling that way! Sorry I don't have more to say- just wanted you to know I've had loads of reasons as to why I felt that way!

Hope the doctor can give you more info x Plus Wishing you a happy new year!

Thank you Louise, that is very reassuring and very kind of you to reply. My sister and BIL visited with my Dad this afternoon. I enjoyed their company but it sounded like we were sitting in the Albert Hall

May I too wish you a very happy and peaceful new year!!

Oh- You remind me of a time when I was playing cards with some of my family and I was having the ear issue- It was like everyone was shotuing and I ot annoyed very quickly lol! They all thought I was being a bad loser.

Please let us know how the appointment goes!

Good luck this afternoon Fish, hope it gets resolved for you. Let us know....

Ghost…Spillways

Hi to both of you and thank you for your concern The GP has prescribed a steroid nasal spray and to go back in three weeks if there's no improvement. He talked about the eustachian tube connecting nose and ears, how it can become congested. My ear canals are clear and no sign of inflammation around the ear drums. He mentioned about it coming on relatively suddenly, so would this point to congestion rather than hearing loss?

I nipped into Asda just beforehand and it was quite busy. My hearing was awful though, every sound was one huge din!! We take our bodies for granted don't we. I just hope this spray works.

It sounds like hyperacusis to me- I used to have this-and it is much better now. It’s like someone has pressed the reset button and your ears have to get used to toning down sound again. It definitely does get better with time if that is what it is x

Thank you Mrsmitchell, I don't know whether that's good or bad? Whichever, it certainly gives anxiety a leg up. I've not felt quite this vulnerable for some time.

The GP did say something about using steam.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information