Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ear muffled and feels 'full'

Re: Ear muffled and feels 'full'

I had it and recovered from it quite quickly. It’s just letting your brain hear the sounds and not shrinking or trying to cover your ears from it and in time - you brain will adjust to sounds correctly again. I am no doctor though- discuss with your Gp. It will ramp up anxiety naturally as every sound will suddenly be like an alarm bell to your brain- but just tell your brain it’s ok and it will stop reacting to it.

i have tinnitus - permanent and constantly there. At first it sounded so loud and ramped up my anxiety - but after a while my brain got used to it and filters it out as irrelevant noise so I have to try to listen to it now x

Oh I forgot to say- it’s not usually anything wrong - it’s just like the reset button has been pressed in the brain. You jave had a thorough ear exam and everything looks good- so it’s just a nuisance really x

To me it sounds like simple congestion, Fishman. Try the steam approach and try not to focus too much on your hearing/perception of noise because it will just make things worse together with the anxiety. Your ears are healthy which is the main thing.

Thank you guys. You're right about not focusing on my hearing too much pulisa. As anxiety sufferers we tend to do that don't we and I'm sure it gets worse the more anxious I am.

Tomorrow is the first 'social anxiety group' meeting at 9 15am. Driving to Asda and having the option of a robot till is one thing, sitting in a room with half a dozen strangers for 2 hours quite another. And for 12 weeks. This is a big big test...

Good luck FM- let us know how it goes. We are all rooting for you.

It’s a crazy idea to have group therapy for social anxiety- talk about drop you in the deep end-
    but you can do it x

No doubt it is an NHS cost-cutting "job lot" therapy option....? I suppose all of you will be in the same rocky boat but if you can get through the first few minutes then it will get better and if it doesn't you can always make your excuses and go and try again next week? I'm sure the therapist will be used to putting people at their ease..well,as much as is possible in this situation.

Good luck, Fishman-I hope it isn't the ordeal you fear.

It will be a big test for sure but remember every person in that room (well apart from the therapist one would hope ) will be feeling exactly the same as you. Everyone will be sitting on their hands fighting the urge to run out of the door. There will be people taking huge deep breaths, people fiddling with tissues, staring wide eyed at each other. You may find over the weeks, you become a source of comfort and inspiration for each other.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ghost…Spillways

Thank you all for your support, it means a lot. I was thinking earlier what if I'm the only patient to turn up?? They might cancel the whole thing. Strangely enough its at a clinic which is a stone's throw from where I had my first ever panic attack aged 20, the first of a long and distinguished anxiety career.

It's quite ironic that this 'therapy' is already setting me back In fact talking about this clinic, its where I saw the dentist as a child. The lady dentist always lied by saying this won't hurt. Or 'that's a nice jumper you're wearing today'. She used gas once, awful experience.

Thinking of you - good luck x

Well I made it There were two therapists and seven users including me. And I was clearly the eldest user, most of them were my daughter's age. The therapists talked about social anxiety and shyness. While acknowledging the two originate from the same source, they are entirely different IMO. But then I'm not the expert. We have some homework to do for next week.

So that's that done. Now the anxiety can focus back on my ears again until next Monday.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information