Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left supraclavicular lymph node swelling and flu shot?

Left supraclavicular lymph node swelling and flu shot?

Hey everyone,

I got my flu shot two days on my left arm. Yesterday I noticed that I had a painful lump above my collarbone very close to my shoulder. It is on the left (same side as flu shot). This is a tender lump that’s painful when touched. However, I can’t tell if it’s movable or not. It also feels semi-firm, not completely hard or soft. This is also known as a Virchows node or Troisiers sign. Trying to keep things in perspective but I’m sure most of you can relate to the obsessive thinking that the node very well could be malignant. I’m scared obviously but don’t want to run to the docs just yet. Any experiences with this?

Re: Left supraclavicular lymph node swelling and flu shot?

The point of the flu shot is to produce an immune response in your body, so I'm sure it would make sense that some of your nodes might react. Also, the flu shot can cause some inflammation in your arm muscles all the way up to your neck, so could just be an inflammatory response.

I am now better able to feel it - it’s the largest lymph node I’ve ever felt on my body (and I have felt loads). It’s bean shaped and very movable. However, it is firm. I don’t know if it is actually from the flu shot of if it has been there for a while. But I did notice it the day after the shot so I’m hoping that’s all it is plus it was reallyyyyy sore that day too. It’s not sore anymore.

Has anyone here been able to feel their supraclavicular nodes and been alright?

My response to one of your posts a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NotDeadYet View Post
    Katniss

I'm not a doctor so obviously I can't diagnose you but once I had a freakout over a lymph node on my neck (not supraclavicular). I went to the docs and he said it was fine but checked all of my nodes. He put his finger on a node in my supraclavicular area and said, "oh I can feel one here. See you have nodes throughout your body that you can feel. You're fine." My point being, you can feel a supraclavicular node and be OK.

Best Wishes

Not a doctor or a psychologist, just a guy who's been to a lot of them.

Tender lymphnodes are a sign of infection and not cancer. Cancerous lymphnodes are unlikely to cause pain.

A token reassurance reply.... It's 100% normal to have a reaction to the flu shot. It let's you know it's actually working

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thank you for the reassurances everyone. I ended up lifting my arm to feel it better and it’s a lot larger than I originally thought - it’s almost 2cm. And it’s a left supraclavicular node. It is no longer tender either. I actually don’t even know if it’s linked to the flu shot anymore or if it was slowly growing all this time without me knowing. It feels firm and rubbery just as a Hodgkins lymph node is supposed to feel. I feel light headed. I am 32 with two small children. The tears are almost frozen. I’ve been on this site for years and usually I have a little voice in my head telling me I’m being irrational but this time I’m trying to find that little voice. I can’t rationalize. I’m shaken to the core and feeling such a profound sadness. I guess as hypochondriacs we always jump to the worst conclusion in a way of protecting ourselves, but inside we know we are being silly. This time I simply cannot rationalize a huge lymph node in my supraclavicular fossa. An area that according to all my readings is NOT an area where you want to find a lymph node.

This is why people with health anxiety shouldn't read up on these things.

I know.. I wish I hadn’t read such things. Wish I was strong enough to resist the temptation to google. But now I’m stuck and don’t know what to do. I run to the docs for everything

Either visit the doctor to get help for your anxiety, or if you think you're strong enough to manage alone, accept that your health isn't in imminent danger and move on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information