Thread: 40,male, very high blood pressure

40,male, very high blood pressure

Good evening, I am a 40 yr old male, and yesterday I decided to try the blood pressure machine just for fun. I got the fright of my life as machine was reading 140/115. I raced to the doctor, who agreed that it was very high and gave me pills. He told me to "continue with my life and not to worry". Well now my life has stopped, I feel really bad and I am constantly thinking that I am going to die a sudden death due to heart failure. I'm on my second pill today and my BP is 125/85, but my heart rate is at about 110. Can I live a normal life or does this indicate that I will die prematurely? Thanks for any feedback.

Re: 40,male, very high blood pressure

I don't understand why a doctor would give you medication after just one high reading.

Normally it would be after many high readings and a 24-hour blood pressure monitor.

Of course you can live a normal life but did they not talk to you about diet changes and exercise etc?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yes that’s a good point- did they check it themselves and sometimes it may be high after eating a certain food etc so best to see what it is like after a while. Especially seeing as the shock of the reading and rushing to the doctor was bound to heighten your bp.

But if it is high blood pressure- huge amounts can be done to help - which means you are in complete control over what happens next x

Thanks a lot for both replies. I am freaking out but you posts helped me to get things in perspective. Thanks again

I've had my blood pressure and heart rate get up that high and even higher, but that's what my Panic Disorder does to me every time. BTW I'm in my 40's too. And every time my blood pressure shot up, I felt like or I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack. Unfortunately that's the trickster of Panic Disorder. I think the worse part is feeling tingling sensations just about all over, sweaty palms, shaky hands, sometimes a dry mouth, a floaty head sensation and the constant doom of thinking that I'm about to die; plus your mind is going a thousand miles an hour suppressing all logic.

So I feel for ya and been there. Keep thinking positive thoughts man.

Thanks mate. The meds the doc gave me put my bp down to 110/80, and today I took the third pill. I'm now worrying about shorteness of breath and high resting heart beats of around 105. Hope this is anxiety.

Thread Information