Thread: Anyone experienced Digital Hoarding?

Anyone experienced Digital Hoarding?

Seeing that there are a number of various threads here concerning OCD and Hoarding, I haven't seen a single thread tackling what I'm currently suffering from: Digital Hoarding - an uncontrollable urge to hoard digital information such as pictures, videos and others due to the belief that these information will be needed sometime in the future.

Hopefully I might get some responses from people here who also currently/had experienced the pain of not being able to control oneself in collecting (or hoarding) pictures and videos, since as a sufferer myself, I want to hear some stories about your experience, and possibly ask some tips as well on how to overcome it

**(btw sorry for my grammar since English is not really my main language)

Re: Anyone experienced Digital Hoarding?

Hi Bubbletea, interesting to read this. My uncle, who works in music and also dabbles in photography/filming has an obsession to keep everything he records / photographs either twice on the computer or does backups of everything - he cannot delete ANYTHING. Say he fills a memory card with photos and films, he will then download this onto his computer then back it up, but also keep everything on the memory card. This cycle means he has around 20 memory cards at the moment! I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're suffering from though?

No-ones ever really discussed this with him, but this practice of not being able to delete/discard anything affects all aspects of his life. His house and car is full of stuff, 80% of it rubbish. I don't know if his inability to get rid of anything is classic hoarding as he doesn't purposely go out to accumulate things, just cannot get rid of anything. I have never ever seen him put something in a bin.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    Hi Bubbletea, interesting to read this. My uncle, who works in music and also dabbles in photography/filming has an obsession to keep everything he records / photographs either twice on the computer or does backups of everything - he cannot delete ANYTHING. Say he fills a memory card with photos and films, he will then download this onto his computer then back it up, but also keep everything on the memory card. This cycle means he has around 20 memory cards at the moment! I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're suffering from though?

No-ones ever really discussed this with him, but this practice of not being able to delete/discard anything affects all aspects of his life. His house and car is full of stuff, 80% of it rubbish. I don't know if his inability to get rid of anything is classic hoarding as he doesn't purposely go out to accumulate things, just cannot get rid of anything. I have never ever seen him put something in a bin.
    Sad to hear about how your uncle is also experiencing the same thing, and actually I similarly hoard stuff too. Although its mostly unnecessary videos and pictures of me doing everyday tasks to the point it gets irritating, because my phone storage keeps getting full (I do backups so I wont fully lose them after deleting, just to clear up phone space).

But I cannot control my urge to stop because of fear that what if I forget/need something in the future and I have no memory of it from the past. Im also afraid something bad will happen and that's why, by recording, I double-check these pictures and videos to reassure myself that nothing bad has happened. Idk OCD is a really weird disorder, and it makes us think crazy thoughts

Kinda felt relieved in knowing Im not the only one who suffers from it, but I do hope your uncle gets help though

What are you doing to treat your OCD?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    What are you doing to treat your OCD?
    Nothing, because once I immediately stop recording for a day, I might panic again due to the belief that "what if something bad happened and you didn't noticed it".. that's why I have my phone with me to record and capture my everyday actions

Sadly I haven't undergone any psychiatric treatment.. that's why Im also curious to know if there are also people who suffers from the same thing and what do they do to help themselves

I have a good friend with harm OCD...but every person I’ve ever known with OCD struggles with magical thinking and “what if I didn’t notice _________”. She takes medication and used to go to therapy. Why haven’t you sought help?

Therapy here can either be two things: expensive or inaccessible due to limited services around here

Thread Information