Thread: Start a 5mg or 10mg?

Start a 5mg or 10mg?

Should I was into it or just get it out of the way? Doctor says it's up to me. Pros and cons of both? Lexapro. Also starting Buspar. Should I hold off on that?

Re: Start a 5mg or 10mg?

I started Lexapro at 5mg for a week then went up to 10 where I've been for years.
    I find Lexapro one of the gentler meds as far as side effects go.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyc92 View Post
    Pros and cons of both?
    10 mg Pro: You'll get to kick-in one week sooner, Con: the side-effects may be more severe. Pros and cons for 5mg are the reverse.

Also starting Buspar. Should I hold off on that?
    Was this prescribed instead of BZDs to ease anxiety levels until the escitalopram kicked-in? Buspirone is a GAD specific med which works well for a few, but not for most, and then only for GAD and maybe social anxiety/phobia. It rarely has any impact on panic attacks, PTSD and OCD.

However, it has a pretty good track record for boosting the effectiveness of SSRIs, reinvigorating those that have stopped working and for reducing some of their ongoing side-effects, particularly sexual dysfunction. Whether it does much for the typical initial SSRIs is less clear.

I appreciate the responses. I'm on day 2 of 5mg and I'm not feeling much worse than what I have been before, though I have had some calm moments which is new for me. Considering taking the jump to 10mg since I'm tolerating it alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyc92 View Post
    I'm on day 2 of 5mg and I'm not feeling much worse than what I have been before, though I have had some calm moments which is new for me. Considering taking the jump to 10mg since I'm tolerating it alright.
    It might be the calm before the storm, but in terms of timing increasing the dose ahead of the weekend may be the way to go as it may allow you to retreat and stabilize before returning to work on Monday should side-effects go through the roof, assuming you have the weekend off.

I did start with 10 mg and after 1 week jumped to 20 mg. For the first month took 1mg Xanax to help. It was bad, but after 1 month things started to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post
    but after 1 month things started to improve.
    Long may it continue!

Thread Information