Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 days on citalopram

3 days on citalopram

I was wondering if anyone has experienced cold flushes on citalopram. I felt hot then suddenly felt like someone poured freezing water on me. Is this a side affect ?

Re: 3 days on citalopram

It has really thrown me into a blind panic.

SSRIs can do all sorts of weird things - going on citalopram didn't have this particular effect on me, but I noticed a lot of other strange stuff. My (normally low) alcohol tolerance went right up for a bit, while after years of eating massively hot chillies even the mild stuff gave me horrible stomach pains.

The first week tends to be the toughest; I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.

Thanks. I just feel light headed and scared right now. I hate putting my Mum through this i feel like I'm ruining her life.

You're not, and things will get better. You just need to try and accept that they're going to be odd for the first couple of weeks.

Everybody reacts differently, but for me it was the miracle drug that gave me my life back.

Thanks again. Just hate how health anxiety can take control all the time. Even though my dr said my hearts going crazy with palps and a swimmy head. I just feel like I'm on high alert.

Still feeling dodgy and cold flushes. Just hate myself for feeling like this bit I don't want to quit taking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
    Still feeling dodgy and cold flushes. Just hate myself for feeling like this bit I don't want to quit taking them.
    Hot and cold flushes and other skin symptoms are quite common with antidepressants (ADs) which affect serotonin at the beginning. Serotonin isn't only a brain neurotransmitter. It has many roles in the body including in the regulation of blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation and blood clotting ability. The skin and its blood vessels use about as much serotonin as the brain and can be just as affected by ADs initially and for a while after dose increases until the body adjusts by downregulating serotonin synthesis and expression.

While side-effects can sometimes be unpleasant and scary they are not usually harmful.

Hi,
    I am on day 5 of 20 mgs having previously done 2 weeks on 10 mgs.
    I am just wondering how long this hell of side effects will continue as I am really struggling at the moment.
    Along with hot/cold flushes, nausea, headaches, feeling spaced out and shaky i have pounding chest that freaks me out.
    I know that they say they are not harmful but they sure feel like they are.

They're not, and they should pass within a week or so. Stepping up had those effects on me, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information