Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried...about my cat

Worried...about my cat

Yes, I know how silly that sounds. But I just found a drop of wet red blood, about the size of a dime, on the floor in front of his litter box. I wiped it up and there didn’t seem to be any fecal matter, just a bit of mucus (I didn’t touch it, but I could tell from the way it reacted with the paper towel). He appears to be acting normally, as vocal and playful as always, and I’ve refrained so far from actually digging into the litter box to see if there’s anything in there. I know in the human body bright red blood is typically a sign of something benign, but I have no idea how a cat’s digestive system works. Trying not to catastrophize and rush him to the emergency vet. He’s an indoor cat and has always been healthy but I hate to think of him sick or in pain 🙁

My husband swears he didn’t cut himself and I know it’s not from me. The litter box is in the laundry room and no one’s been in there today but me. Has anyone else experienced this with a cat?

Re: Worried...about my cat

I've had it once in my cat when it had a very bad food intolerance and bowel inflammation - the blood was mixed with mucous and diahorrea (sp?) when it occured.

I’ve refrained so far from actually digging into the litter box to see if there’s anything in there.
    I think that honestly should be the first thing that you do, the vet will want to know if you do need to take your cat in what the other poos are like. I think you are best placed to know your cat, and its behaviour, more than anybody else. So, I think monitor very closely and watch when he/ she uses the litter tray ? I think I would also check the cat all over visually, paws and underneath and anywhere a small cut could have come from. Let us know what you find/see.....

Hi. I've suffered plenty of cat anxiety in the past so if you're silly, so am I. Do you think it was definitely from his rear end, or could it have been urine? Reason I ask is it's not uncommon for cats to have crystals in their urine, or "feline idiopathic cystitis". One of my female cats had it and peed bright red blood. I probably would have a root through the litter to check, as it can be more of a problem for male cats. When mine had it, she kept going to the litter tray a peeing tiny amounts. It was easily treated with a special food. If you think it's from the rear end, have you recently changed cat food? My cat has allergies and twice poo'd red blood after a diet change. It could also be something really simple like a little cut on his paw. I'd say check him over, look at how he's behaving, and get him checked by the vet if you're worried x

Another scenario: Just like humans, cats can bleed when they poop. Straining can cause this if their poop is very hard. They can also get hemorrhoids just like humans. If you see the blood continue, take your fur baby to the vet and the vet can examine his rectum and take a poop sample. Older cats often need stool softeners just like older humans

Thanks, guys 🙂 I just scooped his litter box and found a poo that seemed to be about the same “age” as the blood, but it looked normal. I didn’t find any blood or anything unusual in or anywhere else around the box, only that one drop of blood. He’s also eating normally, having just howled for his afternoon bowl of wet food and he ate a normal amount. We haven’t changed his food, so I’m hoping it was a one-off kind of irritation. I’ll definitely keep an eye on him, but for now everything seems okay.

Sitting at the vet waiting for the doctor. After a few days of normalcy he pooped blood again. Hoping my little guy is going to be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ckelley116 View Post
    Sitting at the vet waiting for the doctor. After a few days of normalcy he pooped blood again. Hoping my little guy is going to be okay.
    Sending...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Please update us and let us know what happened. Poor lil guy :S

I hope its all ok.....have been thinking of you and your wee cat.

Thinking of you, and hoping all will be well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information