Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried...about my cat

Re: Worried...about my cat

How did he get on? It's really alarming when they poo blood, but it can be something quite simple. I hope he and you are ok.

Yeah, I'm wondering too. I hope its just some sort of internal scratch or something ?!

I don't know yet, unfortunately. I got him there (poor guy was so scared he peed in the carrier) and the vet said he seems generally healthy, but wanted to take some blood. But he was NOT having that, so they had to send us home without answers - but with sedatives that I have to give him before bringing him back tonight. They did run a test on the stool sample I brought with me and ruled out parasites, but there are still a host of other things it could be, including IBD, IBS, a food allergy, a reaction to something he ate and shouldn't have, lymphoma, etc.

If it was just the occasional soft stool, it wouldn't really concern me that much. It's the bloody mucus that's terrifying me. But I'm trying to comfort myself with the facts that it's intermittent, and even when it is happening he's still having no other issues. He's eating normally, pooping on schedule, has energy, and wants to play. Still, though, we were both so upset last night that I got about 3 hours of sleep and instead of sleeping on my bed with me like he usually does, he slept in a corner. Still in my room, but nowhere near me. Tonight will be a repeat, but hopefully we can get some answers. Thanks for all your support

Oh goodness, what a naughty boy he was ! LOL I so hope its something simple and easily rectified like food intolerances. Wishing you a better visit tonight.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you too. I have to avoid giving my cat poultry, or she poos blood. She went through a phase of puking every Saturday too (bizarre), but eventually I found a suitable food and all seems ok. Her allergies didn't start until she was about 9. Hopefully it will be something like that. Thinking of you and your cat and hope you get answers soon.

Oh that's interesting! A lot of his wet food does include chicken or turkey; I wonder if that's it. He's also in that age range (he's a rescue, so we don't know exactly how old he is, but a vet tech friend said he has the teeth of a cat who's younger than we thought he was, which leads us to believe that when we first got him he may have only just reached full-grownness, which would put him around 8. But he could be a bit older).

If it is IBD, or even intestinal lymphoma, signs point to it being in the early stages and both are treatable. I hate, HATE to admit that I've been Googling. Trying to think positive!

I can understand the googling, but whatever it is it sounds like you've caught it early. It's hard to avoid poultry in pet food here, almost all the "normal" cat foods have chicken in. A vet told me that for that reason, poultry allergy is common in cats here, and said in New Zealand that lamb allergy is common as they use it a lot in cat food. I always swore I'd feed my cats on the cheapest food, but ended up with one on prescription food (for the cystitis), and now this one on her special poultry-free diet! The things we do for our pets. Fingers and paws crossed from here x

We had a similar issue with our boy. He started having diarrhea and very loose stools all the time. I didn't notice blood but he was obviously not feeling well based on his behavior. The vet did tests and all came back clear. He gave him a shot of B12 and recommended a kibble for sensitive stomachs. He gets raw chicken as his wet food. Our boy is a rare breed so I did a lot of research and asked around on the Facebook groups. We went with Royal Canin Sensitive stomach. After switching foods things resolved.

Just as an aside, as sweet and loving as our boy is, he turns into a wildcat at the vet (the breed comes from Red Coastal Bobcat). They have to sedate him in order to examine him. In the future, talk to your vet and keep a sedative handy in case you need to take him in.

Keeping my fingers crossed its nothing serious.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks, everyone! We’re home now. The sedative did the trick and he behaved long enough for a blood draw and urine sample. He came home and immediately went for his dry food bowl for a snack, then to his litter box where what came out looks perfectly normal. He’s grumpy now and wobbly from the sedative but I’m just glad it’s all over. Now I just wait for the vet to call with the results.

*keeping my fingers crossed*

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information