Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Worried...about my cat

Re: Worried...about my cat

Glad to hear your cat is ok. The fact the vet said he was healthy is a good sign as is all the normality in his life.

When our dog was young he had one night where he was going the toilet constantly with lots of blood. He couldn't keep it in. We had to get him to emergency care. All it turned out to be was some sort of infection picked up and after some meds he was ok again. Since they spend so much time nosing around outside it can just be one of those things that happen to them through their lives just as coughs/colds/minor illness/infection tend to be for us.

My dog loves the vets though so he is very easy to get treated. While the other dogs are cowering behind their owners legs our dog is dragging us into the room because he just sees it as extra fussing! My GF's cats are nightmares so she would understand how traumatic it can be to get them there.

It may just be an infection or something minor like that.

Our dog is the same if he has had a sedative for an op. He will just sleep it off and wobble about a bit for a time and then he's back to normal again.

I'm glad your cat is doing better now
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

I haven't heard anything from the vet yet. I was told I'd probably hear yesterday, possibly as early as yesterday morning, but so far, silence. After a traumatic couple of days he seemed completely back to normal yesterday - he ate all his dinner, we played pretty vigorously with his feather wand for a good 10 minutes (which is about how long he normally lasts until he gets bored), and everything in the litter box looked the way it should. I'm trying to subscribe to the "no news is good news" notion, but I'm also worried that maybe something came up and they're looking deeper into it before calling me to break the bad news. Is that just the anxiety talking?

My gut feeling is that you're probably okay, particularly if he's his useful boisterous self.

Last year my younger cat (18mos) came home a bit wobbly and by the next morning he'd lost all feeling in his rear half. Even the vet thought he was probably a goner. Luckily the wonderful people here kept me sane and within two days he was jumping up onto the windowsill and we couldn't get him into his carrier to take him back to be checked. These days he's a tiny bit wobbly (you wouldn't know unless you were looking) and spends his days trying to steal my food and picking fights with the curtains.

Cats can be surprisingly resilient sometimes.

That sounds really scary Iris. Did they find out what it was? So glad he's ok.

Ckelley - I think try not to read too much into the delay. They're probably just busy, although I know how hard it is. Eating and behaving normally are good signs. I hope you get news soon.

Swan, they never did, no, they wanted £600 to run a scan on him and we just couldn't afford it.

£600! Vet bills can be so extortionate. So glad he's ok anyway x

Have they called you yet ? If not, I would definitely call them by now.

They did call, I heard from them late yesterday afternoon. His blood and urine results were, in the words of the vet, “fabulous”. Not only that, but he seemed to be over the poo issue, as everything I saw in his litter box looked normal for a few days in a row. I was ecstatic and could physically feel the worry leave me! Until a few minutes ago, when I saw a fresh bloody-mucus stool in his litter box. I don’t know exactly what they tested for (the sheet they gave me just said “preventative bloodwork”) or if it was extensive enough to detect cancer or something (bloody stools can signal lymphoma) but now I’m worried all over again.

Okkkayyyy, then they need to really provide some suggestions for what is causing this issue, or possible things to try .

Its all very well doing various tests and bloods and giving you a sheet with unuseable facts, but good ole fashioned veterinary work will involve discussion, symptoms and suggestions of possible diagnoses - and a first trial of treating. So, call them back and have a telephone consulation about what the possible reasons could be - it could be something so simple like a fissure, or food intolerances (as we 've brought up here a few times) and just as I will say the same for people with HA ;o) jumping to lymphoma, cancers and terminal illnesses shouldn't be necessary. Yeah - def call them back. In the meantime - why not have a think yourself about anything different that he ate and see if any patterns can be determined ? I dont know what you feed, but my cat had to have absolutely 100 percent grain free.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information