Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerned wife has early onset alzheimer's

Unhappy Concerned wife has early onset alzheimer's

I've returned here after years due to a bad bout of anxiety/depression. During weekend was worried for a few things and then fear that wife has early onset Alzheimer's skyrocket. She's 40 and mentioned something like "did you have the shower" when I told her before I did. Then I remembered that some times she can repeat the same question after 5 mins or so, or some other instance where she forgot something and I convinced myself it was Alzheimer.

I know at her age is unlikely, but the symptoms seems to match those of Alzheimer's. Slept only a few hours and still feeling very worried....

Re: Concerned wife has early onset alzheimer's

She's 40, so it's much, much more likely to be life stress or possibly hormones.

Thanks BlueIris...my rationale part agrees, but having a hard time taking anxiety in control

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    She's 40, so it's much, much more likely to be life stress or possibly hormones.

Are you getting help with that?

....well if your description is a criteria for Alzheimer's then...my husband must have had it for the last 30 years as he does this 50 percent of the time!

A busy life, stress (as Blue pointed out) not listening fully to the answer (as your head of full of other things) makes this happen in normal healthy people.

I stopped meds 6-7 months ago and trying not to start them. Not much other help...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Are you getting help with that?

Thanks Carys

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    ....well if your description is a criteria for Alzheimer's then...my husband must have had it for the last 30 years as he does this 50 percent of the time!

A busy life, stress (as Blue pointed out) not listening fully to the answer (as your head of full of other things) makes this happen in normal healthy people.

My Mother had dementia at the end of her life and I really can look back on things she said and did that show how her dementia developed. I would say the most noticeable changes were personality changes or not comprehending things she would have had no issue with before rather than things like repeating questions. She was easily confused.

My husband repeats questions all the time (as Carys mentioned with her husband) and I know it is because he's not listening or is thinking about other things so is distracted. Maybe your wife just has a lot going on. It doesn't sound like Alzheimers to me but I am not an expert of course. Just my opinion.

Look after yourself and your mental health.

Thank you Pearly queen, appreciated. Trying to control anxiety, but not very successfully the last few days...

Quote Originally Posted by Pearly queen View Post
    My Mother had dementia at the end of her life and I really can look back on things she said and did that show how her dementia developed. I would say the most noticeable changes were personality changes or not comprehending things she would have had no issue with before rather than things like repeating questions. She was easily confused.

My husband repeats questions all the time (as Carys mentioned with her husband) and I know it is because he's not listening or is thinking about other things so is distracted. Maybe your wife just has a lot going on. It doesn't sound like Alzheimers to me but I am not an expert of course. Just my opinion.

Look after yourself and your mental health.

my mom was diagnosed at 55 years of age, the doctor was shocked as that is rare. We noticed she would repeat things, forget things, misname things such as calling an apple a banana and kept telling us her brain wouldn't let her think. Oh and being 40 she could be starting perimenopause, it will make you have forgetfulness and brain fog.
    Last edited by Pkstracy; 24-01-20 at 17:01.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information