Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ritalin (Chromosome Damage)

Ritalin (Chromosome Damage)

I am quite scared because I take 80mg of ritalin a day to function. I read about this a few weeks ago and now wonder if I should change to the newer drug (vyvanse) . Been on and off ritalin for a life time (31 years old male)

Has anyone else read about this concern? Maybe new results?

Re: Ritalin (Chromosome Damage)

"The new study, conducted by researchers from the National Institutes of Health and Duke University Medical Center, shared a similar design with the earlier trial. But it was larger and also included children taking Adderall and Concerta. "We saw no [chromosomal] effect associated with medication in any of our treatment groups," genetic toxicologist and researcher Kristine L. Witt, MS, tells WebMD. "These findings were extremely reassuring."

literally the first thing that comes up on google (from webmd), think you will be fine.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for taking the time to help me out here. I have a brain injury so sorry if anything I say is hard to understand :P I just got scared when I saw that because I take them through the day, they do help.

*I saw a few things like that as well. Then I saw 2 studies that said it caused it. The second story I had a hard time understanding (my brain trauma) so I just left that story alone (was 2013 year)
    Thank you for helping me though because the other option is vyvanse again. (been on and off for that one), But I feel like im a guinea pig for that pill, its so brand new. Hell it took decades for this "cancer risk" with ritalin to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANML View Post
    Thank you for helping me though because the other option is vyvanse again. (been on and off for that one),
    So you've tried both methylphenidate (Ritalin) and lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse) at various times? If so, did you do better on one than the other, or were they much the same?

But I feel like im a guinea pig for that pill, its so brand new
    Lisdexamfetamine has been on the market for 12 years which is usually long enough to discover most of a med's worst problems. No med is completely safe, or free of side-effects and lisdexamfetamine does have issues, but so does methylphenidate, as can being unmedicated. It all comes down to whether the benefits outweigh the risks and/or side-effects.

This is the subject of an ongoing debate I'm currently having with my own doctor regarding a med I've recently been prescribed. Unfortunately, in these cases there is often no clear-cut, obviously correct choice. All you can do it pick what you and your doctor think is the best option, or the lesser of the evils on offer, as the case may be, and hope for the best.

Thank you. Both meds work well. But it requires daily super doses of ritalin. I enjoy the 60 mg rit with 20 mg vyvanse (more control on sobriety). But I feel maybe my dr can do 70 mg vyvanse and 2 *10 mg ritalin. May be the sweet spot.

Thank you. Both meds work well. But it requires daily super doses of ritalin. I enjoy the 60 mg rit with 20 mg vyvanse (more control on sobriety). But I feel maybe my dr can do 70 mg vyvanse and 2 *10 mg ritalin. May be the sweet spot.
    If you're doing well on 60mg methylphenidate plus 20mg lisdexamfetamine then why change it?

I wanted to change because of a stupid reason.

*My health anxiety that I overcame is based on cancer. So after seeing that it caused a 12 people to have chromosome damage in the study (12/12) it made me extremely nervous.
    *Btw my dr retired in dec so I have found out I have no legal way to change any of my dosing. Also need to find a dr who will accept this amphetamine bit. (just found this out after calling 10 walk in clinics, my only option is emergency and ye rough. I hope to find a dr I run out of refills in a month. End of feb

So after seeing that it caused a 12 people to have chromosome damage in the study (12/12) it made me extremely nervous.
    I spend a great deal of my time reading studies. First rule: never believe what the media say about a study. It almost certainly will be exaggerated and will likely get at least one crucial detail wrong.

Second rule: Unless you have read the full study, not just the abstract, and understood it, take everything claimed with a pinch of salt. Mostly errors are inadvertent, but a small number of studies are designed to drive an agenda. Even the experts can be caught out by not being sceptical enough.

Third rule: never base any treatment decision on just one study, especially small ones. And that goes double if it claims something which seems at odds with long-term experience. Such experience is not foolproof, it can be totally wrong too, for example the true cause of stomach ulcers, but it is rare enough to almost guarantee a Nobel prize for those overturning the orthodoxy.

*Btw my dr retired in dec so I have found out I have no legal way to change any of my dosing. Also need to find a dr who will accept this amphetamine bit. (just found this out after calling 10 walk in clinics, my only option is emergency and ye rough. I hope to find a dr I run out of refills in a month. End of feb
    Doesn't sound good. I know little of how the Canadian health system works and what hoops may be needed to be jumped to resolved your dilemma. I have found pharmacists are a good source of information about the prescribing habits of the local doctors so yours and others nearby may be able to steer you in the right direction.

I enjoyed the combo but I just would rather not take the risk I guess. I tend to do alot of silly things in my life lol. I would rather not add to the list of possible cancer causing crud :P
    I am very pleased that you have all put some input in this convo. I wish ritalin never did that study :P
    *Could someone help me understand this article about the damage " https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2807376/ " I am having a hard time interpreting it and finding the date of study. My TBI makes large reading almost impossible.
    Last edited by SEANML; 18-01-20 at 00:35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information