Thread: Escitalopram withdrawal - how long

Escitalopram withdrawal - how long

I've started Escitalopram 7 years ago and was for some years on 20mg. I tried two times before to get off it reducing slowly and it was not that bad, but after a few months had to start it again. This time it's a little more than 6 months that I got off and been feeling pretty bad for some days. Has anyone had experience with withdrawal symptoms so long after getting of it?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Re: Escitalopram withdrawal - how long

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post
    IThis time it's a little more than 6 months that I got off and been feeling pretty bad for some days. Has anyone had experience with withdrawal symptoms so long after getting of it?
    What are the symptoms?

Mostly feeling down, no energy

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    What are the symptoms?

In the past, I've used Xanax to help and I'm thinking to use it a few days. Do you think it's OK or it's better to try and go through it without it? Thanks

Mostly feeling down, no energy
    Sounds more like depression than withdrawal. Has depression been an issue in the past?

In the past, I've used Xanax to help and I'm thinking to use it a few days. Do you think it's OK or it's better to try and go through it without it?
    For anxiety, or for the "feeling down, no energy"?

That's true...it's been a mix of anxiety and depression. Xanax has helped with both

Sounds more like depression than withdrawal. Has depression been an issue in the past?

For anxiety, or for the "feeling down, no energy"?

That's true...it's been a mix of anxiety and depression.
    Maybe your best option would be to remain on escitalopram permanently.

Xanax has helped with both
    Benzodiazepines are effective anti anxiety meds in the short term and may relieve anxiety triggered depression, but in the longer term there is *evidence for them triggering atrophy of the hippocampal regions of the brain which seems to be the underlying physical cause of both anxiety and depression. Antidepressants work by countering this atrophy.

* Boldrini M, 2014; Nochi R, 2013; Sun Y, 2013; Song J, 2012; Wu X, 2009; Stefovska VG, 2008.

This is very close to how I’m feeling right now. I was on escitalipram for 6 years at 20. Tried to come off before and struggled. This time I reduced slowly as the tablets helped my depression but I generally felt a bit crap on them to see how I felt. I’ve been off them for 2 months now but feeling very up and down. Feelings of doom and lots of thinking about my immortality still. Feeling low and not enjoying life. No actual reason to feel this way as life is very good. Not sure if this is withdrawal or depression so really interesting to read this thead.

Thank you for the suggestion...will try to stay out of both and if not possible get back to escitalopram.

Maybe your best option would be to remain on escitalopram permanently.

Benzodiazepines are effective anti anxiety meds in the short term and may relieve anxiety triggered depression, but in the longer term there is *evidence for them triggering atrophy of the hippocampal regions of the brain which seems to be the underlying physical cause of both anxiety and depression. Antidepressants work by countering this atrophy.
    * Boldrini M, 2014; Nochi R, 2013; Sun Y, 2013; Song J, 2012; Wu X, 2009; Stefovska VG, 2008.

Thread Information