Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anxiety causing feelings of worthlessness

Scared to start Mirtazapine

Hi there. I have been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder again recently, after taking Fluoxetine in 2014 and Sertraline in 2016. My doctor has prescribed 15mg of Mirtazapine, to help with sleep and general anxiety.

I'm really scared to start as I've experienced side effects with AD's before, and I really don't want them again. I'm not too bothered about the gaining weight thing, but I'm more worried about sedation and being like a zombie all day...

I'm also scared they will change my personality, or make me feel incapable of feeling love, or happiness, and other natural emotions.

Any advice?

Re: Scared to start Mirtazapine

Quote Originally Posted by Anxiouscow View Post
    I have been diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder again recently, after taking Fluoxetine in 2014 and Sertraline in 2016. My doctor has prescribed 15mg of Mirtazapine, to help with sleep and general anxiety.
    Is there a reason for selecting mirtazapine instead of either fluoxetine, or sertraline?

I'm really scared to start as I've experienced side effects with AD's before, and I really don't want them again.
    The common initial side-effects, or ongoing ones? If the latter then what were they and how much fluoxetine, or sertraline were you taking?

I'm not too bothered about the gaining weight thing, but I'm more worried about sedation and being like a zombie all day...
    15mg is likely to be sedating and that may continue into the next day. Mirtazapine is more a sedating antihistamine than antidepressant. However, it is impossible to predict how you will be affected. A few find it stimulating. Higher doses are usually less sedating.

I'm also scared they will change my personality, or make me feel incapable of feeling love, or happiness, and other natural emotions.
    While these can sometimes occur, it is very much the rare exception, not the norm. Usually a switch to another AD will resolve the issue. Did you experience any of these on either fluoxetine, or sertraline?

Anxiety causing feelings of worthlessness

My anxiety (GAD) is currently spiralling. I've been having recent relationship problems with my girlfriend, however we have began to sort them out and next weekend she is taking me away for four days for Valentines Day.

My anxiety is rooted in the sense that I feel uneasy without reassurance. I feel uneasy being alone. I feel like I am easily forgettable, I feel like she is cheating on me or that she finds other men more interesting than me... and that I am not worthy of being loved or being in a relationship. It sounds odd, but my self esteem is so low and I can't figure out why.

I don't know what to do really. I feel depressed and anxious at the same time and all I want to do is curl into a ball and sleep. Hopefully it will go away of it's own accord and a break away from the stress of life with help with her next weekend, but for some reason my whole life right now seems to be a rolling ball of fiery anxiety.

I feel as if other people are far more important than me and are better at everything than me. Having that mindset, how am I meant to feel good about myself? Even I know it!

I feel like I have a kind of separation anxiety... with my own girlfriend. and if she doesn't show love 24/7, then she might not be into me anymore and that's pushing her away... I don't want to be the needy guy.

I've been to the doctor and he has prescribed mirtazapine and I'm going to start taking it. I want to feel like myself again. 2020 has started horribly, I'm hoping I can get it back on track.

Does anybody recommend any quick techniques or anything I can read for therapeutic purposes? I just want not to feel alone in my own head...

Re: Anxiety causing feelings of worthlessness

That's beyond a quick fix TBH. Real life professional help for improving your self esteem would be more practical and long lasting. The meds are a good start.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 02-02-20 at 02:41.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Have you tried positive affirmations. Find ones that apply to yourself and repeat them consistently to yourself. I have no experience, however I have read that eventually your brain retrains itself to believe them.

no quick fix, I don't believe quick fixes exist for anxiety but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. You have to start believing in your own self worth.

Ghost…Spillways

Stomach bug or worse?

I've had a stomach problem for over a week now, mostly stomach cramps and dihorrea (which goes away after taking Imodium), a bubbly upset stomach, lack of appetite and tiredness. At first I just got on with it as usual, it went away slightly, but now it seems to have returned.

It's not as bad as it was last week, but I still have low appetite and extreme gas (which comes on after I've eaten).

I'm trying not to let me HA take over me here. I'm sure it's nothing, but should I be worried?

ACow

Please read the below message from Admin. You are posting about a lot of different things frequently. Perhaps start a thread where you can keep all of your worries in one place.

Can posters, especially those who are posting a lot about a variety of fears please confine their posts to one thread.

This helps others to build up a clear picture of what is happening and makes it easier to offer suitable advice.

You may not see the pattern but usually it is there, especially if you are posting frequently about different things.

Your co-operation with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information