Thread: Heart problem?

Heart problem?

Hi all! I have only posted one other time on here and it was when I was doing really well. However, my health anxiety doesn't care if I'm doing well or not and is back. I currently have some chest tightness, arm pain that comes and goes, and some light-headedness. Im not looking for a diagnoses and I know this could all be anxiety. It's just I've not had these symptoms with anxiety before. So I guess I'm just wanting to know if anyone thinks I should head to the ER/doctor/whatever or if I need to take a chill pill?

Things to consider:
    - I'm 23, female, maybe a little overweight but doctor hasn't said it's an issue. I'm definitely not really bad overweight. No other issues.
    - I had a hole in my heart when I was born but my mom said they told her it closed. My anxiety is making me second guess that which is not cool.
    - Had a chest x-ray and chest CT for suspected pulmonary embolism in Nov. 2018. Both were clear and heart looked fine in both.
    - Have had probably 10 EKG's in my life because I have a fast heart rate at the doctor. Most recent was in Nov. 2018 and it was fine.
    - Just had a full blood test in October 2019 and well- check and all was normal.

I just keep thinking I'm kind of young for a heart attack and all the aforementioned tests were fairly recent and I feel like something would have been picked up. But then again these symptoms are very real and don't seem to be letting up. Thoughts?

Re: Heart problem?

My thoughts are that it's unlikely to be a heart attack at your age with your health (measured by previous tests), but it's a difficult one because chest tightness shouldn't be ignored and if it were a heart attack (and remember it's very unlikely at your age) it's better to be seen quickly, within the hour.

The other thing about going to the ER is they can assess really quick whether you are ok. I've been about my heart before and it's not a bad experience, I just had my oxygen levels measured with a little clip on my finger, then an EKG and blood test and within an hour I was out with the all clear.

How long has this been going on? How bad is it on a scale of 1 - 10? Does it stop if you distract yourself or does it persist? If in any doubt at all best to go to the ER and just get your mind put at rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosanna View Post
    My thoughts are that it's unlikely to be a heart attack at your age with your health (measured by previous tests), but it's a difficult one because chest tightness shouldn't be ignored and if it were a heart attack (and remember it's very unlikely at your age) it's better to be seen quickly, within the hour.

The other thing about going to the ER is they can assess really quick whether you are ok. I've been about my heart before and it's not a bad experience, I just had my oxygen levels measured with a little clip on my finger, then an EKG and blood test and within an hour I was out with the all clear.

How long has this been going on? How bad is it on a scale of 1 - 10? Does it stop if you distract yourself or does it persist? If in any doubt at all best to go to the ER and just get your mind put at rest.
    It's probably a 2 or 3 and I don't know if it goes away if I'm distracted because it's pretty much all I've thought about. I've had this feeling since Monday. It started when I was in the grocery store and I had a panic attack over thinking I couldn't breath ( always been a thing for me). I had stopped my anxiety medicine at the advice of my doctor but I think I wasnt ready like we thought I was. My heart started pounding, which was different during this attack and in my head I knew it was a panic attack but I also partially thought it was a heart attack. I know that I have anxiety ( it's being treated with meds (again) and therapy) so I don't really trust myself to know when something is really wrong.
    In the USA i also have to pay a hefty price for ER visits. My visit in 2018 cost over $8,000. I don't want this to be that. An unnecessary visit. I just bought a house, am a masters student, and have a 3 year old to support so I can't really afford a false alarm.
    Last edited by clb99; 17-01-20 at 11:41.

Was the thought of being off the medication weighing heavy on your mind before all this started Monday? Are you worried about not taking it anymore? If so, you might want to get back with your doctor and discuss that along with your recent symptoms. I'll can tell you this from own personal experience, constant negative thoughts of "what if's" doom would spiral out of control and before I knew it...bam panic attack. Chest pains(really more like tightness or pressure), light-headedness, and yep...even the occasional arm pain (left or right), sweaty palms, shaky hands, stiff neck, and headaches and chills afterwards after it was all over. As a matter of fact, and this is the irony, I've had these panic attacks in a store many times for fear I was going to have a panic attack in the middle of the store and pass out or something; which I never did pass out BTW. That's how ridiculous my panic disorder got for me.

Anyway, I would get back with your doctor about this or call him/her and see what they think.

Chest tightness is relative. What you're experience might not be tightness but muscle strain. It's common to damage muscles in your ribs and chest from a panic attack. I think you'd probably know if it was something other than anxiety. The body has a way of telling you "somethings not right here".

Stopping medications will bring on a host of symptoms. You probably need to remain on them, or try something different.

I get chest pain when stressed. But I can tell it's not heart related because if you touch the area and it feels tender and sore it's muscle related. It's because stress and anxiety cause you to become physically tense without realizing.

It's always worth mentioning to your doctor though. It does sound like classic anxiety.

Thread Information