Thread: Fear of depression

Fear of depression

Hey all,

I found a lot of posts about this topic but not found great advice. It started for me a few years ago with health anxiety about my chest/heart. With some nice help and explanation from my therapist I came of this type of health anxiety, but now I do have a fear of depression. I guess it started for me end of the summer in 2019 (august). I had my bachelor's degree in june and decided to do a master's program and started it in september at a new university. From the first moment it feels stressfull, and my intrusive suicide thoughts came up (don't know why, possibly because I read something about it?). I am disgusted by these thoughts, although they sometimes feel 'real'. When I feel stressed these thoughts are much more present then when I'm just relaxed.

Another fear what is really common to this is that I have kind of fear that I never find a job what I really enjoy and that it would lead to getting depressed with all consequences.

Does anyone recognize this and how to handle it?

Rinkrt

Re: Fear of depression

Quote Originally Posted by rinkrt View Post
    Hey all,

I found a lot of posts about this topic but not found great advice. It started for me a few years ago with health anxiety about my chest/heart. With some nice help and explanation from my therapist I came of this type of health anxiety, but now I do have a fear of depression. I guess it started for me end of the summer in 2019 (august). I had my bachelor's degree in june and decided to do a master's program and started it in september at a new university. From the first moment it feels stressfull, and my intrusive suicide thoughts came up (don't know why, possibly because I read something about it?). I am disgusted by these thoughts, although they sometimes feel 'real'. When I feel stressed these thoughts are much more present then when I'm just relaxed.

Another fear what is really common to this is that I have kind of fear that I never find a job what I really enjoy and that it would lead to getting depressed with all consequences.

Does anyone recognize this and how to handle it?

Rinkrt
    Hi there,

I understand this completely.. from the moment I started getting stressed at work and had a panic attack it just started .. like a switch it turned on and that was it.
    Weirdly I’ve got ocd and anxiety but don’t really get depressed. I do however constantly worry about things and have thoughts like “what if I lose my mind” “what if I get depressed and lose my daughter “ “what if I hurt someone and didn’t mean to because of my anxiety”I read up on it all so much that but the time I got to therapy I had diagnosed myself. She completely agreed with everything I said about myself .

Ocd has major intrusive thoughts and I have thought AWFUL things I also get an urge feeling which makes me anxious like “am I actually about to hurt myself and I won’t be able to stop myself” “am I going to kill myself”
    It’s scary BUT it’s all in the Mind.try this.

When you get a bad thought rather than dismiss it let it play out in your head.. think it through, what would happen if you did do it and Who it would hurt etc etc .. let the thought play out and it will go away. It’s when you try to ignore the thought that it sits there plaguing you!

It’s scary I know and I have awful health anxiety always thinking do I have a brain tumour .. bad heart etc .. thing is nothing can stop you getTing depression BUT you can do things now and think a certain way now so that if you did you would know how to deal with it.

I sit and tell myself ... it’ll be okay, you will get help, they will looo after you and it’s not forever.
    Whilst your working on your thought process and reminding yourself that it’ll be okay even if you did get it.. exercise, vitamins and no sugar and caffeine make a huge difference.. a routine is also important. Proper sleep you need!
    Also cannabis oil helps me once it’s built up! Which you can give it a go..

What worries you so much about depression?
    I get random thoughts about killing myself but I try and laugh at it rather than get anxious .. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Alexldn89 View Post
    Hi there,

I understand this completely.. from the moment I started getting stressed at work and had a panic attack it just started .. like a switch it turned on and that was it.
    Weirdly I’ve got ocd and anxiety but don’t really get depressed. I do however constantly worry about things and have thoughts like “what if I lose my mind” “what if I get depressed and lose my daughter “ “what if I hurt someone and didn’t mean to because of my anxiety”I read up on it all so much that but the time I got to therapy I had diagnosed myself. She completely agreed with everything I said about myself .

Ocd has major intrusive thoughts and I have thought AWFUL things I also get an urge feeling which makes me anxious like “am I actually about to hurt myself and I won’t be able to stop myself” “am I going to kill myself”
    It’s scary BUT it’s all in the Mind.try this.

When you get a bad thought rather than dismiss it let it play out in your head.. think it through, what would happen if you did do it and Who it would hurt etc etc .. let the thought play out and it will go away. It’s when you try to ignore the thought that it sits there plaguing you!

It’s scary I know and I have awful health anxiety always thinking do I have a brain tumour .. bad heart etc .. thing is nothing can stop you getTing depression BUT you can do things now and think a certain way now so that if you did you would know how to deal with it.

I sit and tell myself ... it’ll be okay, you will get help, they will looo after you and it’s not forever.
    Whilst your working on your thought process and reminding yourself that it’ll be okay even if you did get it.. exercise, vitamins and no sugar and caffeine make a huge difference.. a routine is also important. Proper sleep you need!
    Also cannabis oil helps me once it’s built up! Which you can give it a go..

What worries you so much about depression?
    I get random thoughts about killing myself but I try and laugh at it rather than get anxious .. xx
    Hey Alexandra,

Thanks for your wonderfull reply and great advice. Would definitely use your technique. To answer your question what worries me about depression is as well the fear of suicide.

Besides my fears and negative thoughts which come up with that same fear I'm not experiencing depression symptoms. I sleep well, eat well, not tired and just do my things. I'm also exercising but that increases my symptoms (stress on CNS), but I like to play football/tennis so I'm still doing it. Also the book DARE by Barry McDonagh let me see things in perspective.

Rinkrt

Yes. Help them get past their aversion towards visiting the doctor.

Thread Information