Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder issue - has anyone had this?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bladder issue - has anyone had this?

I try to not post on here but am so scared right now, I cannot stop crying.
    Last night i had an episode that I cannot stop thinking about. It had been about 6 hours since my last wee. I had been wanting to go since about 7:45 pm but other things kept getting in the way, like yoga, helping my kid with dinner, then eating dinner. Finally I went into the bathroom at 9 pm. I thought i would pee first but decided to floss first instead. While I was doing this my son came in wanting to go pee. So I helped him, then he wanted to brush and floss. So I waited till he was done. Then I decided to brush myself. And while brushing I rememberd about peeing and I had a strong urge to pee, like I needed to go right away. So I kept brushing while squeezing my thighs together to stop the urge (that usually does it for me). When I opened my things back I felt some dribbling. At first I thought it was vaginal discharge. But it felt a little different, so I got very alarmed and squeezed my pelvic muscles tight and got it to stop. I then proceeded to finish brushing, cleaned the sink, put a few things away, and finally sat on the commode and finished peeing. Of course, as I expected there was a wet patch on my underwear. I later measured, and it was about 0.5 ml that I probably leaked.

This episode has freaked me out. I worry about neuro issues. I read on another post here about pelvic floor exercises. I tried it this morning (i.e. stopping my pee midflow). However, when I try to stop it, it does not stop. Please, please some one help me calm down. Please.

Re: Bladder issue - has anyone had this?

And while brushing I rememberd about peeing and I had a strong urge to pee, like I needed to go right away. So I kept brushing while squeezing my thighs together to stop the urge (that usually does it for me).
    Just gooooooooo!!

Woooah, seriously you held on and held on and held on , literally going 'against the flow' for an hour and a half and are worried about neuro issues (and you've clearly had children which makes pelvic floor less reliable for some women ???) I'm not surprised some leaked out, crikey I can't think of many women this wouldn't happen to if they were desperate and still held it in AND had given birth. You wait till you are older that'll be the least of your worries a piddly (sorry for pun) tiny 0.5ml leaking - sneezing becomes a risky activity LOL.

Anyway joking aside - Its really bad for you to hold on like that and can stretch the bladder and urethral sphincter and cause long-term issues if you do it all the time. The thing with the 'stopping the urine flowing' thing is that it can take practice and strengthening and practice - so the fact that you felt you couldn't do it well, and that you leaked slightly would indicate you surely need to do some pelvic floor exercises (for slightly weakened muscles) and NOT that you have neurological issues! So, basically you get a slap on the wrist from me for holding your wee in and just monitor how things feel for you over the next few days I reckon, as I've personally had it before where things are little bruised feeling internally after holding on to the point of pain. The easiest time to start doing the pelvic floor exercises is not during urinating, but look them up online and start doing them here and there in the day and learning which muscles they are to squeeze. Learn how it feels and practice. Later on, try stopping flow near the end of your wee as that is the easiest time. (I think ?)
    Last edited by Carys; 17-01-20 at 16:52.

Thank you so much Cary S!Your reply has allowed me to calm down enough to go into work. I am only 42, and so did not expect my pelvic floor to be weak at this age. However I am tiny and my son was born big and ripped right through me. I acquired 3rd (almost 4th) degree tears and needed two surgeries to fix things. So may be that contributes.

I know I have the bad habit of putting off going to the bathroom. But last night it did not feel like I was holding to the point of pain. I have also had a significant uptick in anxiety from earlier this week that is making me want to go more. Thank you for the kind words!

I am 40 and just started having issues with small amounts dribbling out. I did not expect this either at this age —- and it has been a huge anxiety trigger for me. I had an ultrasound and pelvic exams and everything checked out fine. For you it may be a one-time thing just from holding it too long. We may not be old, but sadly we aren’t 20 anymore either. :(

Quote Originally Posted by pray4me View Post
    Thank you so much Cary S!Your reply has allowed me to calm down enough to go into work. I am only 42, and so did not expect my pelvic floor to be weak at this age. However I am tiny and my son was born big and ripped right through me. I acquired 3rd (almost 4th) degree tears and needed two surgeries to fix things. So may be that contributes.

I know I have the bad habit of putting off going to the bathroom. But last night it did not feel like I was holding to the point of pain. I have also had a significant uptick in anxiety from earlier this week that is making me want to go more. Thank you for the kind words!

Yeah, it comes upon you quickly this age thing - if you were 24 and not 42 then there may be more concern. Glad you replied too Elsa, someone experiencing it now is really helpful ! It could indeed be a one-off, everything just aligned to cause this on this one occassion, but don't hold in any more !

I am only 42
    42 is the age where perimenopause starts for many women, hormones are changing (I know mine started at that age) and it can cause bodily changes which need addressing for many, 42, I'm sorry to say it - isn't that young in terms of the need to start doing pelvic floor exercises. I think it'd be a really good idea for you to get some advice, if you have a gynae on how to do things and what to do and you can then discuss pelvic floor issues and how the surgeries might have affected you - and determine what is best to help. I can assure you that MANY women will be doing so in their 40s. Did I have what you describe happen in my 40s - yep I did. It can be helped though and nows the time to do it.

So may be that contributes
    Ya think ?? Yeah, I'd say its a MASSIVE factor. Crikey lady, that sounds traumatic.

Thank you both!

Been there, done that, worn the badge of shame. Don't worry about it!

I’ve had three kids and I get this randomly but regularly. You shouldn’t leave it until you are bursting as it will make it worse. Pelvic floor can become weak from having kids. I find I get this when I’m stressed and focus on it, ovulation and period due. I need to do some exercises. Mines been going on for a few years and I’m 34. I sometimes panic about it but mostly not,

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded. I try very hard to manage my health anxiety and not post on here for reassurance, as I know that is generally frowned upon. But sometimes it really does help hearing from others. I feel really grateful. Elsa, I also looked up your earlier thread about this and you got several helpful responses. Hope those responses helped you, as they helped me today for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information