Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro Tip: Do not miss or a delay doses of paroxetine

Exclamation Pro Tip: Do not miss or a delay doses of paroxetine

Just some important information for those just starting Paroxetine. Information from personal experience.

Never skip a dose of Paroxetine. Delaying your medication routine by even a couple of hours can cause some horrendous side effects. I've had the misfortune a few times of experience withdrawal after missing doses (not intentionally).

Last night I was watching Rocky with my partner and I fell asleep. I woke up in the morning and realized I'd missed my dose last night. I quickly took them and got on with business. Then the stomach cramps, and the pooping, started. Painful BM's that hurts like hell as it's passing through your body. In turn causing panic attacks and all the symptoms that go along with that.

The last time I missed a dose I ended up vomiting pretty bad for the entire day and was plagued with what felt like a nasty hangover - even though I don't drink.

Just wanted to put this out there

Re: Pro Tip: Do not miss or a delay doses of paroxetine

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Never skip a dose of Paroxetine. Delaying your medication routine by even a couple of hours can cause some horrendous side effects.
    Very good point, James. The problem with paroxetine is it has a short-half life compounded by not having an active metabolite to extend its activity. Miss a dose and it will soon let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Very good point, James. The problem with paroxetine is it has a short-half life compounded by not having an active metabolite to extend its activity. Miss a dose and it will soon let you know.
    I think health care providers should make this known to patients too. I think a lot of people are on the other SSRI's before reaching praoxetine. And usually people are used to missing the odd dose of the other SSRI's with few side effects. I was like that. It takes a few times being burned by praoxetine for it to sink in. Setting alarms is helpful - just remember not to leave the phone on vibrate and fall asleep

Your information regarding the short half life is helpful and it explains why the onset of withdrawal can be quick.

When I missed a couple of paroxetine doses it took less than 48 hours for the brain zaps to start.

Your information regarding the short half life is helpful and it explains why the onset of withdrawal can be quick.
    Its elimination half-life is ~21 hours, which is isn't that much shorter than, say, sertraline's ~25 hours, the difference is the latter's active metabolite which while not as potent as the parent compound has a half-life of 50-100 hours. You'll still a reaction if doses are missed by they come on more slowly and are less severe initially. With paroxetine the whole shebang just drops off a cliff whereas with sertraline it's a moderately steep downhill roll.

Its elimination half-life is ~21 hours, which is isn't that much shorter than, say, sertraline's ~25 hours, the difference is the latter's active metabolite which while not as potent as the parent compound has a half-life of 50-100 hours. You'll still a reaction if doses are missed by they come on more slowly and are less severe initially. With paroxetine the whole shebang just drops off a cliff whereas with sertraline it's a moderately steep downhill roll.
    Your analogy made me laugh. That's exactly what it feels like

Your analogy made me laugh.
    That's a very good sign, mate. Paroxetine must be working when you take it. Long may it continue!

That's a very good sign, mate. Paroxetine must be working when you take it. Long may it continue!
    Yeah mate things are much improved these days. I tried to quit smoking the other day and things went pots and pans but aside from that I'm living a normal life except the agoraphobia. I couldn't function without the meds.

I tried to quit smoking the other day and things went pots and pans
    As one of the few to survive lung cancer I urge you to persevere. LC isn't something you want to have to deal with. Life isn't a barrel of laughs even if you beat it. And have a word with your GP about regular chest x-rays every couple of years from around age 50. That is what saved my bacon. I had multiple risk factors, smoked for a decade from my late teens, plus considerable occupational asbestos and carcinogenic chemical exposure. Hit the 'jackpot' with the 3rd x-ray when it was small which meant surgery was still an option.

but aside from that I'm living a normal life except the agoraphobia. I couldn't function without the meds.
    Agoraphobia is still an issue even with the paroxetine and promazine?

Yeah agoraphobia is still a problem. I'm like a raging bull when I quit mate. Like the worst person imaginable.

Doctor said I can take the paroxetine once a day, both at the same time. So I switched to that about week ago because of it being easier etc. I just have 2 before bed with my other meds. But in the mid day I'm left feeling nauseous, with more anxiety. Like now. I feel edgy. I'm not using valium as much, just before bed mostly unless periods like I'm having now go on for too long then I'll have one. But sticking to the 6mg per day as opposed to self medicating a higher dose.

I've beat cancer myself mate. Lost 2 parents to cancer too. I'm on borrowed time. I just try to enjoy every moment in the present. I want to quit so I can increase my fitness levels and it's a waste of bloody money shoving tar down your lungs. The chances of me dying of cancer before 55 are 90%. It's in the bloodline and goes all the way down the males since 1940's. My nan was German, and my Grandpa English. Likely a result of war time related chemicals etc.

It's quite mad because my nan moved from Germany to the UK and they both lived right next to the factories in Birmingham that made ammunition. They would have lived through the Peaky Blinder times too. Same area. Sadly I can't quiz them, they've passed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information