Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swollen lymph nodes behind baby’s ears

Swollen lymph nodes behind baby’s ears

Hi all
    My son is 12 months. When he was 3-4months, I noticed that the lymph nodes behind his ears are palable. I did bring up with his pediatrician and she didn’t think of anything after checking him. She didn’t even do any testing. She said you can feel baby lymph nodes. I let it go for the sanity of my health anxiety and stopped checking.

Now he is 12 months. 2 weeks ago he just had hand food mouth disease. I noticed last night that the lymph nodes are much prominent, especially behind the left ear. I brought him in and my doctor confirmed they are swollen on both sides but the left is more. She measured and they are about 0.5cm.

She said they are on both sides and since he is still recovering from his infection, she isn’t worried. However she scheduled an appt to recheck after 2 weeks and also blood tests to rule out. He is also teething..

My husband isn’t concerned. As a mom, I am.

So my concern is that normally can we feel lymph nodes behind baby ears even when he isn’t sick? In my son case now, he acting normal, eating normal, not losing weight. How long will it take for lymph nodes to go down or will they just stay up like that forever?

Thanks

Re: Swollen lymph nodes behind baby’s ears

Your Doctor has already examined your son and answered this.

And for the record, as a Dad, we worry too where it's warranted

Hiyer

since he is still recovering from his infection, she isn’t worried.
    The nodes have done what they are meant to do, fight infection, he had an infection. Your son's immune system sounds like it is working very well. It also sounds like your GP is being very through and practical, so I think you can rest assured that they are taking all the right steps in responding to your concerns.

I know you are worried, I was a tremendous worrier with my daughter also, but you must be careful not to keep checking the nodes as the prodding alone can keep them inflammed. Also, as a parent (because I agree with Jo, the 'Mom' bit isn't relevant as such - some people take the word of the doctor and trust them, those with HA often don't and that is the difference between you and your husband, not the parental gender ) you know your child better than anyone else and your judgement on if they are behaving normally and seem well in themselves is of great importance. You say...

In my son case now, he acting normal, eating normal, not losing weight.
    ....which is great.

I don't know how long nodes take to go down in adults, let alone children I am afraid, but suspect it depends on location, how bad the infection was individual differences. I think you just need to go with the advice, leave the nodes alone, monitor your child's 'wellness' and wait till you go back for the check. I also have no idea about prominence of nodes and how that presents in babies, I've honestly never felt or gone looking for one in myself or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Your Doctor has already examined your son and answered this.

And for the record, as a Dad, we worry too where it's warranted
    I feel better after reading your reply. Thank you. I reread my post and yes, the Dr already explained why they are swelling up.

I guess my internal fears are the what if’s like what l if they don’t go down and stay the same. What if the blood tests turn out bad, those silly what ifs :(

My husband doesn’t have health anxiety so he was perfectly fine with the Dr explanation. Can I say dads are more reasonable when it comes to their kids?

Can I say dads are more reasonable when it comes to their kids?
    Nope , you can't say that either ! LOL Its not a gender issue - men and women have HA, men and women have different personalities which aren't gender defined.

Hi Carys
    The next 2 weeks will keep my mind busy But I will try not to look or check them because I know they won’t go down if I keep poking at them.

I know my anxiety so I avoid learning how to feel nodes. This time it was too obvious behind his ears. I can see the small lumps.

I feel like I’m watching over my kids like a hawk which is exhausting.

As long as the blood test is fine, then he shall be fine right?. The CBC blood count test is part of his annual blood tests that He needs, but she told me to give him one more week before I take him in for blood for his system to recover more

Yeah when I had health anxiety I rushed my 7 year old to A&E because I thought his heart rate was too high after he'd just been swimming. 2 hours later and he was hooked up to an ECG, because of me. The Doctor had a swift word with me at the end, asking with some conviction if I could 'sort my sh1t' out. So I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    Nope , you can't say that either ! LOL Its not a gender issue - men and women have HA, men and women have different personalities which aren't gender defined.

True more like whoever have health anxiety is unreasonable. It’s always me in my family

asking with some conviction if I could 'sort my sh1t' out. So I did.
    Love this, good on that doctor !

As long as the blood test is fine, then he shall be fine right?. The CBC blood count test is part of his annual blood tests that He needs, but she told me to give him one more week before I take him in for blood for his system to recover more
    I'm sorry, and I don't mean this rudely, but I'm no medic. Annual bloods, CBC blood count and things are not something I know about. I will say this though, what is your fear here, because something is driving your lymph node concern and has been since he was very young ? Does your baby already have annual bloods for a condition ?

He just had a virus two weeks ago so that sounds normal to me. You could feel his nodes as a baby, so anatomically he may just have more prominent lymph nodes. My 5 year old just had an infection inside a lymph node and her node was 5cm! So, 0.5cm is nothing! Listen to the doctor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information