Thread: Can this really be IBS?

Can this really be IBS? *update 3 years later*

Hi everyone, I am 21 years old and have visited this site a lot in my past and it really helped me get through a lot. A few months ago(TMI) I posted about how I had one occasion of blood in stool and that I had frequent mucus. Since that day passed 9 months ago, I have not had blood in my stool and the mucus also stopped. I went to the doctor not too long ago to discuss my stomach issues and she said I had IBS, with no test other than listening to my stomach and feeling around. I wanted to know, does anyone with IBS or knowledge of IBS relate to my symptoms? I truly feel anxious that I am missing the signs of colon cancer and my doctor does not want to put me at “risk of going under” when she doesn’t believe I have colon cancer. As I mentioned, 9 months ago I had blood after a stool. In addition, my number one symptoms is a frequently gurgling stomach/noisy stomach and gassy ness. I also have diarrhea some days, but other days my stool is completely normal. As if nothing every happened. I know i have a history with health anxiety, but I can help but wonder am I right this time? Anyone with IBS please let me know, I really don’t know who to turn to. These stomach issues are driving me crazy and I cant eat without feeling anxious, I cant sleep, and all the free time I have is dreadful. Also, for some weird reason I have no issues when I’m out with friends or at work. Usually only when I’m at home alone. Any input is so appreciated thank you. (Also no weight loss, stable weight)
    Last edited by razziledazzile; 04-06-22 at 03:46.

Re: Can this really be IBS?

Quote Originally Posted by razziledazzile View Post
    Also, for some weird reason I have no issues when I’m out with friends or at work. Usually only when I’m at home alone. Any input is so appreciated thank you.
    Pointing directly at the issue being the way you react to your IBS diagnosis when given the time to ruminate on it.

There is zero value in asking if other people relate to your symptoms, as you already know what the symptoms of IBS are. This is a negative reassurance seeking cycle, and something you need to figure out how to do when you are home alone. This takes practice, but it's the only way to really end the mental suffering.

You have IBS, you have the symptoms of IBS AND you have a medical diagnosis of IBS. What more reassurance can people give you here that will help? The answer is none.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi everyone. I wanted to let you know I am now 24, have a baby and just had a negative colonoscopy. I do still have tummy troubles the same ones, but doctor is investigating other non sinister causes such as IBS and SIBO. Blood is not always colon cancer

Thread Information