Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary mole on fiancés back. Please look

Exclamation Scary mole on fiancés back. Please look

Hello everyone, it's been awhile since my last post. In the last year and a half my HA has been almost non-existent. This morning, I felt that horrible helpless heart sinking panic that I used to get so often.

This morning I noticed a freckle/mole on my fiancés back. We are 23 years old. We both get sun in the summers (just regular exposure) and we both have freckles and sun spots. Today I was looking closely and this spot looks a little scary. It has 2 different colors and doesn't look "normal". There is definitely a dark dot inside of it and I don't really there there are borders. It is smaller than a pencil eraser but the colors freak me out. Being the hypochondriac I am, I started looking though old photos to see if I could track it back to an earlier time. I was able to find a photo from about 4 years ago that shows the spot - so it has been there awhile, I just never realized how sinister it looks. Part of me thinks that's a good thing right? The fact that it has been there for awhile without growing?

Please click and look at the picture. I am SO afraid of melanoma. I am making him a DR apt first thing in the morning. I feel sick to my stomach. Does anyone have anything that looks like this? I will post a regular picture and a close up. Please help

IMG_8617.jpg IMG_8596.jpg

Re: Scary mole on fiancés back. Please look

You want a Doctor to look at the mole, not a larger selection of hypochondriacs.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    You want a Doctor to look at the mole, not a larger selection of hypochondriacs.

But, seriously. It's probably nothing, but I don't even let myself stress about moles. A derm can check that out and tell you it's fine in like one minute. Just have him make an appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny11 View Post
    Hello everyone, it's been awhile since my last post. In the last year and a half my HA has been almost non-existent. This morning, I felt that horrible helpless heart sinking panic that I used to get so often.

This morning I noticed a freckle/mole on my fiancés back. We are 23 years old. We both get sun in the summers (just regular exposure) and we both have freckles and sun spots. Today I was looking closely and this spot looks a little scary. It has 2 different colors and doesn't look "normal". There is definitely a dark dot inside of it and I don't really there there are borders. It is smaller than a pencil eraser but the colors freak me out. Being the hypochondriac I am, I started looking though old photos to see if I could track it back to an earlier time. I was able to find a photo from about 4 years ago that shows the spot - so it has been there awhile, I just never realized how sinister it looks. Part of me thinks that's a good thing right? The fact that it has been there for awhile without growing?

Please click and look at the picture. I am SO afraid of melanoma. I am making him a DR apt first thing in the morning. I feel sick to my stomach. Does anyone have anything that looks like this? I will post a regular picture and a close up. Please help

IMG_8617.jpg IMG_8596.jpg

To be honest it doesn’t look bad! They look for moles that are not the same.. they look symmetrical to me?!
    I can show u what mine looked like and mine wasn’t even cancerous so if mine was okay, I’m sure yours will be.
    They look pretty uniform to me.
    Download skin vision app

Quote Originally Posted by Alexldn89 View Post
    Download skin vision app
    Please do not download an App for this or any other health related tracking. It only feeds the dragon and you'll end up obsessing over it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Please do not download an App for this or any other health related tracking. It only feeds the dragon and you'll end up obsessing over it.

Positive thoughts
    No actually do download the skin vision app that was created by doctors that takes a photo of the mole and works out if it’s high risk or not.
    It’s saved thousands of peoples lives so it’s actually a good thing! It’s helped me TWICE and mine looked cancerous even to the surgeon. Until I informed him I’d had a baby and he was happy it was due to hormonal changes ..
    BUT it’s brilliant
    And doesn’t make you obsess. It gives you a better idea of what your working with.

Read up on it first to see the reviews! All positive

Alex, this site has a lot of very vulnerable people. I'd consider myself largely recovered from my health anxiety, and I still feel frightened just at the thought of the rabbit hole this could send me down.

No matter how good an app like this is for the general population, it could potentially cause severe emotional harm to somebody with HA; it might not have made you obsess but I'll bet a lot of people here could terrify themselves for days and weeks on end. Better to simply see a GP or even a nurse practitioner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Alex, this site has a lot of very vulnerable people. I'd consider myself largely recovered from my health anxiety, and I still feel frightened just at the thought of the rabbit hole this could send me down.

No matter how good an app like this is for the general population, it could potentially cause severe emotional harm to somebody with HA; it might not have made you obsess but I'll bet a lot of people here could terrify themselves for days and weeks on end. Better to simply see a GP or even a nurse practitioner.
    Agreed. One only need read all the threads where people with HA lose it over a fitbit reading and self test things from BP to urine and poo. Its quite apparent health related apps and diagnostic devices can be and are detrimental to sufferers. Glad you find it useful but I stand by my post 100%.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

You’ll need to see a doctor, preferably a dermatologist for this. There appears to be red or pink around the mole, but this could be irritation.

I agree with Fishman regarding the SkinVision app. A couple of years ago I had a funny looking mole. My (now ex) bf didn’t like the look of it and neither did some relatives.

Doctor took one look and said benign. I then downloaded SkinVision. Scanned the mole and the app said no risk.

BUT THEN: an email came through from SkinVision telling me their dermatologists had reviewed my images and wanted me to get the mole looked at ASAP.

TWO dermatologists and a biopsy later, I received the all clear.

The anxiety that one single message from SkinVision caused was unbelievable. So yeah I can’t recommend it - unless your mole is a tiny tiny pin prick mole or a CLEARLY TEXTBOOK round banal mole, these apps will never give you the all clear. (Think lawsuits)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexldn89 View Post
    No actually do download the skin vision app that was created by doctors that takes a photo of the mole and works out if it’s high risk or not.
    It’s saved thousands of peoples lives so it’s actually a good thing! It’s helped me TWICE and mine looked cancerous even to the surgeon. Until I informed him I’d had a baby and he was happy it was due to hormonal changes ..
    BUT it’s brilliant
    And doesn’t make you obsess. It gives you a better idea of what your working with.

Read up on it first to see the reviews! All positive
    This is terrible advice to someone with HA. I'm sorry, but it is.

An app cannot tell you if a mole is cancerous or not. All it can do is measure the mole up against the typical "rules" for cancerous moles and normal moles. However, not every atypical mole will be cancerous. Imagine a person with HA who is already obsessed with skin cancer downloads the app, takes pictures of a few of their moles and one of them is determined to be suspicious by this app. What reaction do you think that will cause?

If someone has something that is suspicious, a doctor can tell you if it is or not. Not some app. These apps prey on people with HA and I find it troubling that you would even suggest this to someone with HA. Someone who is already prone to worrying and obsessing about their health and the health of people they love.

If the mole hasn't changed OP and has always looked like that, then it's very likely not scary or worrying at all. I'm not a doctor, but it doesn't look particularly troubling to me from that picture. You mentioned you found a picture from 4 years ago showing the mole and didn't mention any changes, so...unless it's the slowest growing cancer in the world...if it's troubling, get your fiancé to go to a doctor to check it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information