Thread: Prescribed multiple pills per day?

Prescribed multiple pills per day?

I'm not sure if this is common or if its even safe. I can't find anything about it online. My new psychiatrist wanted to adjust my fluoxetine dose but I was apprehensive about trying 40mg again because the last time I tried I had bad panic attacks over serotonin syndrome even though now I know how unlikely it was. I didn't want to feel like that again though. She told me to finish the 20mg pills I had left and then started me on a regimen of THREE 10mg capsules per day to equal up to a 30mg dose. I'm supposed to start this new dose today, but I'm really sketched out by it. The idea of taking so many fluoxetine pills at once, even if it's technically fluoea safe amount of actual medication, just sets off my health anxiety SO badly. I can't find anything about anyone else being told to take it this way. I know she's the professional, but I'm still freaked out. I would have rather just tried the 40s again at this point. Part of me wants to just start taking one 10mg capsule a day and try to ween myself off because I've been on this med for almost 4 years and I am so sick of it, but I know that's not something I should do without consulting someone first, so I won't. Anyone else think this is a weird way to take this medication?

Re: Prescribed multiple pills per day?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagician View Post
    I was apprehensive about trying 40mg again because the last time I tried I had bad panic attacks over serotonin syndrome even though now I know how unlikely it was.
    Not just unlikely, but impossible at that dose. Even in large overdose it usually isn't the main medical concern. 99.9999% of what you've read about serotonin syndrome is probably male bovine manure. The amount of misinformation online is unbelievable.

I can't find anything about anyone else being told to take it this way. I know she's the professional, but I'm still freaked out. I would have rather just tried the 40s again at this point.
    While fluoxetine is not usually prescribed that way because its very long half-life makes it pointless, split dosing is sometimes prescribed for shorter acting antidepressants. Imho, most ADs should be prescribed that way, but doctors are reluctant to do so because the more times a day patients have to take a med the more likely they are to stop taking it. In terms of the impact on your body, it won't make a scrap of difference whether you take 30mg in one dose, or 3 x 10mg. Plasma levels will be exactly the same.

Fwiw, I take my AD in 3 x 75mg split doses. Have done for 25 years, and did the same with the previous AD too.

Part of me wants to just start taking one 10mg capsule a day and try to ween myself off because I've been on this med for almost 4 years and I am so sick of it, but I know that's not something I should do without consulting someone first, so I won't.
    What problems are you having with it?

Thread Information