Thread: Upper Stomach Pains Worried Its Something Serious??

Upper Stomach Pains Worried Its Something Serious??

Three days ago, I started getting a stinging pain in my upper stomach area, not severe but aggravating and felt like if you got an electric shock but a little jabbing is what it feels like. Anyway, it hasn't been as bad as two days ago, but I have still been getting an odd jabbing pain every so often, only lasting a few seconds and then going away but its been making me very anxious that its something serious.

I'm 32, female, Hypothyroid, PCOS (on medication for both btw) and I'm also on 10mg Propranolol for a severe anxiety, and I suffer from depression. I'm about a 10lbs overweight, I don't drink or smoke, my lifestyle would be quite sedentary as I work from home all day, but I do drink a lot of water and try to eat healthy. My diet has also not been very different to cause any changes.

Also, my bowel movements are normal, no irregular colors or bleeding, sometimes its been a bit constipated but not enough to have no bowel movement (just a little painful when going).
    I've no other symptoms at the moment, just every so often I get a mild/moderate stinging pain jabbing in my upper stomach, it lasts a few seconds and goes away. I can eat fine as well, but I do suffer from insomnia and don't sleep as well as I should.
    I'm worried about ulcers, bleeding, blockage or some other sort of emergency and its causing me to panic quite a lot. As I said, the pains are not as noticeable as two days ago and seemed to have calmed down, and its only a mild stinging every now and then. I haven't had that much of it today, only now and then its kinda stung.

Today, I had some mild jabbing discomfort in my upper stomach, and then I had a bowel movement after dinner, and it started solid but turned watery. Then I had another bowel movement and it was slushy. I've had a cold for the past day or so, so not sure if the two are connected but been worrying about it all being potentially serious like a infection or something? Diverticulitis or something as serious.

Sorry for info dump, I'm just panicking and feeling very stressed about it.
    What is it? I'm just so very anxious and panicky, and things like this make me worse.

Re: Upper Stomach Pains Worried Its Something Serious??

Quote Originally Posted by mischamoonlight View Post
    Three days ago, I started getting a stinging pain in my upper stomach area, not severe but aggravating and felt like if you got an electric shock but a little jabbing is what it feels like. Anyway, it hasn't been as bad as two days ago, but I have still been getting an odd jabbing pain every so often, only lasting a few seconds and then going away but its been making me very anxious that its something serious.

I'm 32, female, Hypothyroid, PCOS (on medication for both btw) and I'm also on 10mg Propranolol for a severe anxiety, and I suffer from depression. I'm about a 10lbs overweight, I don't drink or smoke, my lifestyle would be quite sedentary as I work from home all day, but I do drink a lot of water and try to eat healthy. My diet has also not been very different to cause any changes.

Also, my bowel movements are normal, no irregular colors or bleeding, sometimes its been a bit constipated but not enough to have no bowel movement (just a little painful when going).
    I've no other symptoms at the moment, just every so often I get a mild/moderate stinging pain jabbing in my upper stomach, it lasts a few seconds and goes away. I can eat fine as well, but I do suffer from insomnia and don't sleep as well as I should.
    I'm worried about ulcers, bleeding, blockage or some other sort of emergency and its causing me to panic quite a lot. As I said, the pains are not as noticeable as two days ago and seemed to have calmed down, and its only a mild stinging every now and then. I haven't had that much of it today, only now and then its kinda stung.

Today, I had some mild jabbing discomfort in my upper stomach, and then I had a bowel movement after dinner, and it started solid but turned watery. Then I had another bowel movement and it was slushy. I've had a cold for the past day or so, so not sure if the two are connected but been worrying about it all being potentially serious like a infection or something? Diverticulitis or something as serious.

Sorry for info dump, I'm just panicking and feeling very stressed about it.
    What is it? I'm just so very anxious and panicky, and things like this make me worse.
    It sounds familiar, mine was gas, it got a lot better after I took some De Gas capsules. . It contains simethicone which helps relieve stomach wind bloating and gas.

@WiseMonkey I get a lot of stomach noises, like gurgling (best way to describe it) and I don't seem to have any bloating, but I do normally have quite a bit of (ahem) flatulence and sometimes belching as well. So not sure if its connected, but yeah, its a very mild sensation in my upper area mainly (way up from the belly button just below your rib area) and I say stinging, its like a little sharp pain but it isn't painful, just a bit uncomfortable when it happens, but I start panicking that its going to get worse.

It also feel a little tender when I touch my upper stomach area, but I've been touching it a lot too, so can't say for sure.

Thanks for replying!

I also get flatulence and burping and gurgling! You may have a bit of gastritis as well, the two often go together.

Yeah, I did get a bit of it last night, so seeing how I am today. Drinking a lot of water, keep hydrated.

I think with my anxiety as well, I am constantly in a state of worry about "if it'll get worse, is this an emergency, sonethi g serious etc etc", that I find it very hard to think rationally or be calm. Which is probably why I'm so tired all the time.

So far this morning, only had some mild pains, and a lot of stomach gurgling, which I also had last night too.

I had some stingy pains in my stomach again today, mild though. I've just been worrying about stuff like Diverticulitis, that was something I googled and made me worry and feel anxious also about infections as well.

It's literally well above my belly button in the middle of my tummy area there, and sometimes I can get it a little in either side, but mostly the upper middle area. My cold is starting to go away but I still feel anxious even with the stomach pains as I fear their something serious, though they've been mild sensations.

I'm having some acid/burning in my chest and bottom of my throat, not sure if its anything I've ate (not had anything hot, had a live culture drink this morning), but I've made an appointment on Thursday to see my doctor, so will see how that goes.

I had a couple of bouts of the pain my upper stomach today, most accurate way I can describe the pain is like when you are getting a needle, theirs that little pain when the needle jabs you, does that make sense?

Hadn't had a bowel movement in two days now, but just had a movement now but was a small, hard amount. Normal colour, but without grossing anyone out, it had either like white specks in it and a white mucus over it. Without being gross again, I'm not sure if this was from the rice I ate two days ago, if it didn't digest properly, or if its something else perhaps?

Sorry, just trying to make sense of this, as my anxiety is very high right now, and having so much noises in my stomach as well, not helping.
    Last edited by mischamoonlight; 22-01-20 at 03:01.

Could be IBS, sometimes it can affect your whole digestive system. Take some slippery elm powder in hot water, it's great for constipation and stomach inflammation.

@WiseMonkey I'm so sorry didn't get back earlier, just had a bad few days, stress wise. Went Doctors Wednesday, told him everything, he examined me and said it sounded exactly what you thought, he said it sounds like IBS. So he booked me some blood tests for this coming Friday, so see how it goes.

So far, my bowel movements have returned to semi-normal, but still getting some stomach pains, still mild, but uncomfortable. I'm just very stressed at the moment because I'm having a very hard time sleeping, and its draining and exhausting.

Thanks for replying, sorry for taking so long!!

Thread Information