Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EMDR experiences

Re: EMDR experiences

As things stand I think he is too ill to cope with trauma therapy and i will be emailing my views to the psych. I do trust his opinion because of his credentials and experience of working with trauma and ASD at a leading mental health hospital. I am just a parent though but even so I am not going to take any risks with something as awful as this

I can only go by what we went through with my misses, but her first round of trauma therapy made things infinitely worse. Trauma disorders are hard to diagnose properly, and unique in their effects on the sufferer. PTSD is almost an umbrella term for a multitude of mental states and unlike anxiety or depression, the wrong treatment can have significant negative effects.

I'm not saying EMDR is absolutely 100% not the right thing to do, I'm just suggesting (as you already know) to tread very carefully before committing to treatment.

I really hope you find the right path for him.

I have complex PTSD from years of abuse. I was also having flashbacks of one particular event. My psychologist did 1 session of EMDR on me, and I have never had a flashback again. This was 16 years ago.

That's incredible, Snowy and thank you for giving me that reassurance. I am so sorry that you have suffered so much in your life-abuse is a horrendous assault and i admire anyone who has managed to rebuild their life.

My son's trauma is related to his former workplace and is complicated by his ASD. I'm hoping and trusting that a psychologist who treats people like my son all the time will make the right judgement call. I'm not sure when the "right time" would be to start EMDR-the local psychiatrist is keen for him to start now and his meds have been increased. I need to have faith and not let my fears take a grip xx

It's a difficult decision Pulisa and to some extent its a bit of a gamble. See what the psych says first.
    I refused because I feared the treatment and had lack of trust and more importantly, I didn't know what I would be getting into. I still think I made the right decision.
    I think you have to bear in mind whether your son will fear the treatment and wants to go through with it. They are two important factors. x

Pulisa, can you hint at what the work trauma was? Some trauma's are less 'ingrained' than others and may be easier to treat...relatively speaking.

Legally I can't go into details but for him it is a matter of life or death and has lead to hospitalisation following numerous self harm/suicide attempts. It is still going on after 6 solid months. Standard CBT and psychological support hasn't touched him, nor have meds so far. He has lost all interest in everything other than ruminating on the trauma. This needs an ASD expert so I have to have faith.

Have you read the book, The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der kolk? Lots of great info and recommendations. Best book out there on PTSD IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Legally I can't go into details but for him it is a matter of life or death and has lead to hospitalisation following numerous self harm/suicide attempts. It is still going on after 6 solid months. Standard CBT and psychological support hasn't touched him, nor have meds so far. He has lost all interest in everything other than ruminating on the trauma. This needs an ASD expert so I have to have faith.
    Yeah I would say CBT would be pointless here as it's not a behavioral issue.

Do you have a case worker from your local mental health team?

Yes but he has just been allocated a new one(last week) and contact has yet to be made.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information