Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EMDR experiences

Re: EMDR experiences

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Have you read the book, The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der kolk? Lots of great info and recommendations. Best book out there on PTSD IMHO.
    Thanks for this, Vee..I will get hold of a copy-very grateful for the recommendation.

I see it's in Spanish..I do speak Spanish but will look for an English translation on Amazon because my competence won't run to complex psych terminology!!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Yes but he has just been allocated a new one(last week) and contact has yet to be made.
    Use that resource, and if your instincts are telling you that the person isn't right then trust them. We got onto our third one before we found one who actually gave a crap and pushed for treatment. Took us 2 years, but you really have to make noise about it these days. If they don't contact you, chase them. Every day.

I have to say when you mentioned EMDR I did think that too. Your son has always sounded in a very fragile straight throughout this and EMDR is hardly a therapy that avoids looking at painbful triggers. It surprised me because I would have thought they would get him stabilised on meds and be veyr sure before they do much of anything therapy-wise and anything he would get would be more of a support/counselling process to bring him down to a place where he is ready to work on things.

If someone has severe anxiety you wouldn't be throwing them into exposure work which would be raising their anxiety levels at a time when anything minor causes a much more exaggerated reaction.

I didn't want to say this because you've got an expert recommending it, I know little of ASD (and you are an expert) and didn't want to be negative at a time where you are also fragile. But now you have I have to agree and say trust your instincts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

If someone has severe anxiety you wouldn't be throwing them into exposure work which would be raising their anxiety levels at a time when anything minor causes a much more exaggerated reaction.
    Also, the consequences of doing this with somebody with anxiety are frankly minimal. Their anxiety might get worse for a while, or it has a good chance of actually helping too. An exaggerated reaction to trauma therapy can be dire, and long lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

I didn't want to say this because you've got an expert recommending it, I know little of ASD (and you are an expert) and didn't want to be negative at a time where you are also fragile. But now you have I have to agree and say trust your instincts on this.
    And I would like to reiterate the point that trauma is an area where experts are regularly wrong. But like Terry I would say that I'm just erring on the side of caution rather than being negative.

Yes, that book I mentioned talks about the different types of therapy and how to be careful not to choose therapy methods that will retraumatize the patient.

I really wish he could have this treatment in hospital as an inpatient. Locally it's just under a thousand pounds a night at a Priory hospital....which I think is absolutely appalling and completely out of my league. Even more eye watering no doubt at a London hospital.

I've emailed the psychologist with my concerns so now it's down to his assessment tomorrow. Thanks so much to you all for your support xxx

Pulisa, I agree with Joe and Terry's comments.
    And yes, the treat in hospital would definitely be the best option, but it's not to be, so you have to work with the options you do have. Which is not alot.
    If I can say the situation would be easier once settled in to his meds and we both know that could take months!
    I also wonder if EMDR could be done at your home, if you choose to go that route.
    For me personally, I was so broken that I knew exposure would not be a good option. I think you have to reasonably stable before approaching anything more traumatic. x

The aim is to have further EMDR via Skype, carnation.

We've had an awful day today but i've emailed the psych and told him everything so at least he knows the situation.

Sorry to hear that Pulisa

Skype will be interesting and better than travelling to a venue, but a little cold feeling I would imagine. It also leaves you to pick up the pieces which I'm not favourable for you having to deal with.
    Is there any improvement with your son? Maybe the meds need changing / increasing?
    I wish there was more I could do for you xx

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information