Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: EMDR experiences

Re: EMDR experiences

His meds were increased yesterday (300mg venlafaxine) but he's not in a good place. I'm relieved we are going to the appointment today xx

I don't have much advice to offer, but I'm thinking of you and wishing you both the best of luck.

Here's hoping the meds take the edge off a bit. Remember to look after yourself too, and that you can 'sound off' here all you need to. x

Good luck Pulisa x

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    Also, the consequences of doing this with somebody with anxiety are frankly minimal. Their anxiety might get worse for a while, or it has a good chance of actually helping too. An exaggerated reaction to trauma therapy can be dire, and long lasting.
    That's something I would slightly disagree on though. Whilst it might seem like a bad day due to exposure that can easily turn into a spiral which deepens the anxiety. Doing it on someone so severe they are sectioned would never be sensible and the consequences could be bad. I'm guessing you are talking about the affect at a deep level where as anxiety would take a lot longer to develop like that as opposed to heaping trauma onto trauma in someone with something like PTSD? The severely anxious person might just turn inward and add months of additional severity to their condition. Often how a breakdown ends up going.

But someone mild-moderate is going to handle it much better and see it fade without the long lasting effects of a shock added to severe anxiety.

Pulisa, I think your instincts about having that as an inpatitent are completely valid. The last thing you want is your son deeply upset by something to have a quick cup of tea calming down session when it's more likely he needs days of calming down.

Now he's up into that range where Ven starts working on dopamine levels lets hope it helps him.

How is he handling the med side effects? That must be a serious worry for you all?

How did it go Pulisa? Have been thinking of you.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That's something I would slightly disagree on though. Whilst it might seem like a bad day due to exposure that can easily turn into a spiral which deepens the anxiety. Doing it on someone so severe they are sectioned would never be sensible and the consequences could be bad. I'm guessing you are talking about the affect at a deep level where as anxiety would take a lot longer to develop like that as opposed to heaping trauma onto trauma in someone with something like PTSD? The severely anxious person might just turn inward and add months of additional severity to their condition. Often how a breakdown ends up going.

But someone mild-moderate is going to handle it much better and see it fade without the long lasting effects of a shock added to severe anxiety.
    With respect bruv, I've seen and understand the consequences of inappropriate exposure therapy on somebody with a trauma based disorder and the consequences are beyond what 'we' would suffer. Immediate, dramatic, and potentially life threatening. I think it's common to assume that trauma disorders are a form of anxiety, and they are not. It's actually a dissociative disorder where reality can be immediately distorted and misinterpreted. Re-traumatising an already traumatised brain can add another layer of long term issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    With respect bruv, I've seen and understand the consequences of inappropriate exposure therapy on somebody with a trauma based disorder and the consequences are beyond what 'we' would suffer. Immediate, dramatic, and potentially life threatening. I think it's common to assume that trauma disorders are a form of anxiety, and they are not. It's actually a dissociative disorder where reality can be immediately distorted and misinterpreted. Re-traumatising an already traumatised brain can add another layer of long term issues.
    My disagreement was with the point inappropriate exposure therapy on a severe anxiety sufferer could be classed as minimal.

That doesn't mean I'm disagreeing with your points over trauma based conditions or your experiences, just that minimal wouldn't be how I would describe my experiences of being exposed to triggers when I was barely able to brush my teeth every day. It takes hold and pushes you back further which is nothing like the immediate dramatic impact you are explaining.

The dramatic consequences you mention would certainly be more appropriate when considering pulisa's son.

Apologies if that was unclear. I'm probably going a bit off topic.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 28-01-20 at 19:27.

Just to say that I'm back and thanks for your concern-I really appreciate all the advice and good wishes xx

Another awful start to the day but we survived the morning and managed to get up to London before carnage hit the rail network. It's not easy travelling with a son eyeing up the rails (he has "history" at train stations). He didn't have EMDR but was able to talk about how the trauma dominates his every waking moment. He is so spaced out and distant now. I don't think this is true PTSD-more trauma mixed in with ASD which has locked him into a destructive mindset. The aim of EMDR will be to try to unlock this mindset, I suppose? I haven't had any feedback from the psych but I wouldn't as he's an adult. Feeling totally crap to be honest-it's horrible living like this and my poor daughter is a wreck.

Journey back was a nightmare thanks to derailment and cancellations..Could have done without that. Will have to Sky + Silent Witness as a treat for whenever!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information