Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: EMDR experiences

Re: EMDR experiences

Sorry it’s all so stressful, you just have to hope it’s going to help I suppose? Do you have any ideas what will help your daughter? I suppose it’ll be when her brother is a bit better?

Pulisa, I'm not at all surprised there was no EMDR today and in a way, that must have been a relief there.
    I also wondered whether it was PTSD, but a traumatised state and deep depression.
    Meds seem to be the best option presently and obviously because we don't have the background it becomes more difficult for us to make suggestions.
    Although you have said that you can't due to the nature of the situation.
    But we are here for you and will help you in anyway we can and give you a much needed hug when things get too much. x

I think being away from the situation would help her so I have booked an overnight stay for us both at a hotel next week. My OH will have to hold the fort.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Pulisa, I'm not at all surprised there was no EMDR today and in a way, that must have been a relief there.
    I also wondered whether it was PTSD, but a traumatised state and deep depression.
    Meds seem to be the best option presently and obviously because we don't have the background it becomes more difficult for us to make suggestions.
    Although you have said that you can't due to the nature of the situation.
    But we are here for you and will help you in anyway we can and give you a much needed hug when things get too much. x
    Thank you, Carnation. I don't know how to try to move on from this really. I wish I could erase the last year from his memory and ours but I obviously can't. Just got to wait and see what happens next xx

Oh P, this thread has kind of been off my radar - as it started with discussion of a therapy I know nothing about at all. I've just read the last few pages now, what a time you are having, it must be hell seeing your son and daughter struggling and so much pressure on you as an individual ! So, you travelled for this assessement today to London (yes the Basingstoke freight derailment was a pain in the backside to many trains!) but who is there who supports in the more immediate area on an 'as needed' basis, in terms of psychi support ?

I don't know how to try to move on from this really.
    You answered it yourself in the last sentence - all you can do is let things progress, let time happen, wait for the next step, make choices as they happen and are offered, keep yourself as well as you can and keep everyone as safe as you can in the meantime. What a huge amount to be responsible for though !

You want it gone, everything erased that has caused the damage which you know can't happen, but I truly believe the age old 'this too shall pass' will eventually be true. The healing will come, the steps and stages aren't clear now and it is that which is so damned hard for you. I'm sorry I didn't read this all sooner. :(
    Last edited by Carys; 28-01-20 at 21:17.

Sounds a lovely idea to have a girls night away. It must be very difficult trying to balance looking after everyone at the same time, and I hope a night away will also give you some relief.

I had some trauma therapy (not EMDR) and often felt spaced out and far away during that time. Whether or not I have PTSD depends on who you ask, and I am unsure how ASD affects things, but I am hoping the psychologist has given your son some grounding techniques that are appropriate for him and his needs. Will he go back for EMDR or will that be via Skype?

Enjoy Silent Witness

Great idea to have a night away, I hope it’s good for both of you.

I think you and your daughter being away, even for a short while is just what is needed. It will give you a breather and hopefully some much needed, good quality sleep. x
    Last edited by Carnation; 28-01-20 at 22:42.

I agree with C. Also, see if they have a jacuzzi!

Thank you to you all..I am so grateful and it's good to have advice from people who can think far more clearly than me.

I know they have a pool and a spa at the hotel...My daughter will like that but it's not my thing (too skinny to show my bones!!) I think it will do us both good to get away from here just for a short while.

The sessions will now be via Skype which is a blessing because train travelling is so stressful. He does adapt his EMDR therapy to suit his ASD patients but my son can use the sessions for counselling if he isn't in the right place for EMDR..

As for local support, Carys...I have had words with the CMHRS and the psychiatrist has increased his meds. There is no support for family members though-we are collateral in all this despite my daughter also having special needs. Her GP can only offer diazepam as she lies "between services" in terms of mental health support and is unable to take anti depressants due to medical reasons.

I will let things happen, Carys...Nothing else I can do. Just a week until our night away and things could be a whole lot better by then xx

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information