Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart palps bringing me down

Heart palps bringing me down

So I had my heart checked by Doctor she listened to it said it sounds great checked my blood pressure everything was normal. I asked for an ecg bit she refused said it was unnecessary saying I'm healthy and she sees no reason why I would have any heart problems (no family history). She put me on 20mg citalopram and I'll be seeing a counsellor this Wednesday. I went to the opticians everything great also told me you can tell a lot about the heart by having an eye test and again everything was great.
    So now I keep saying to myself WHY AM I STILL HAVING PALPS EVERYDAY ???
    I believe my Dr and don't want to have endless tests and never believing the results. So what can I do when I want to ignore them but I'm still scared of them ?

Re: Heart palps bringing me down

Distract yourself. I know it's difficult, but engaging your senses will help you shift out of your own head. My own preferred methods are to burn incense or potter in the kitchen, but you could run your hands under hot or cold water. We tend to primarily use our senses of sight and hearing, so do something that involves another sense as it will be much harder to tune it out.

Yeah this is one of those situations where you learn to live with them or forever suffer fear about a medically insignificant symptom.

As Blue said, distract yourself. It's up to you to find a way to live WITH them, for now. Your fear of them is what's sustaining them.

Thank you for the tips. I bought some lavender candles and relaxing creams. I feel like I can't enjoy the things I love but I'm determined to try and get back to my old self.

Logically I know there's nothing wrong with I've had palps for years but but had a rough couple of weeks and I keep telling myself you're still alive after all this time of so called symptoms. So I'm trying to shit up that little voice of doubt by distracting myself by doing crosswords and other little things.

Distractions as well as practicing acceptance. Accept not only that your doc deemed you healthy, but also that the palpitations are not going to harm you in any way. If palpitations alone were harmful I'd be in really terrible shape by now. Haha. Everyone gets them, but not everyone thinks twice about them - anxiety makes us notice them when we otherwise would not.

A friend of mine was recently experiencing palpitations along with some other symptoms, and testing revealed she was having PVCs "15% of the time", which is not ideal and is possibly concerning long term. She started a beta blocker and should be fine now.

On the other hand, I've been diagnosed with PVCs / PACs, I have mild hypertension treated with a beta blocker, and I have had an episode of afib ... and family history of early heart disease. Yet my doctor and cardiologist both suggest that I shouldn't be even slightly concerned with my heart health for at least another 10-15 years. Took me a long time to accept that. I still question it at times, but it's much easier to cope with now that I've learned how.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
    So I had my heart checked by Doctor she listened to it said it sounds great checked my blood pressure everything was normal. I asked for an ecg bit she refused said it was unnecessary saying I'm healthy and she sees no reason why I would have any heart problems (no family history). She put me on 20mg citalopram and I'll be seeing a counsellor this Wednesday. I went to the opticians everything great also told me you can tell a lot about the heart by having an eye test and again everything was great.
    So now I keep saying to myself WHY AM I STILL HAVING PALPS EVERYDAY ???
    I believe my Dr and don't want to have endless tests and never believing the results. So what can I do when I want to ignore them but I'm still scared of them ?
    So can I ask if your on citalopram and still having palpatations?? How long have you been on citalopram ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was having palps all day every day (pvcs). In my case, just taking a magnesium pill every day eventually stopped them. I still get the occasional here and there but not like before. They were really scaring me then. Too much bad eating or stress can make mine flare up a little but still not like they were.

I've been on them for 2 weeks but that was for my depression and anxiety.

I've cut down a lot and have completely stopped having coffee and going for more walks. Can I take magnesium tablets with citalopram ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information