Page 93 of 384 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

How do I unsubscribe from this thread? Having a hard time staying calm when I keep getting these messages popping in my email.

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    So far, there have been no pediatric deaths. They say children actually get infected much less than adults do. So flu is still a bigger issue than covid-19 at schools even if/when this thing does reach community-transmission level everywhere. I concur that it really is a matter of when and how much rather than if at this point. People are turning up with it after traveling to Italy two, three weeks ago. So while we just found out about the Italian outbreak five days ago, it's been hidden for much longer.

Want good news in recent covid-19 developments?

1) A vaccine is scheduled to be tested in humans in six weeks, per Dr. Fauci, a high infectious diseases government official in the US.

2) Gilead is going to shortly begin a phase 1 clinical trial for a drug to treat covid-19.

3) Also, the rate of daily new cases in China is continuing to decline, if their numbers are accurate that is a good sign that maybe this thing peters out after awhile or maybe after being exposed to an outbreak, people in a community start developing some immunity.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    It was discussed in our Parliamentary debate on this how research in China was showing children weren't badly affected by it so the risk was to the elderly and compromised.

Yes, it's always a matter of the when but I think people need to remember the when is a batch of a new flu and not cites on lockdown. It's not going to be like a Hollywood movie.

...and as ever the regular flu is killing far more in those at risk groups and does every year. But since that's a norm the media can't whip it up because health authorities will just slap them down and they may get a telling off for going a little too far in potentially causing public panic.

Still no masks being worn in my area

Quote Originally Posted by jules321 View Post
    How do I unsubscribe from this thread? Having a hard time staying calm when I keep getting these messages popping in my email.
    Click on Thread Tools higher up this page. The subscribe is in there and probably a box to uncheck. You can also view your subscription settings in your user settings (near the bottom on the left I think).

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    I just read something that made me realize besides the math that it's a virtual guarantee that covid-19 outbreaks in various places in the USA at some point. You Brits won't have this cause/problem but with our shitty medical insurance system, sick people with no or poor insurance coverage will refuse to get tested so they don't go bankrupt, and then will likely spread the virus around rather than get treated! This poor guy was just trying to do the right thing and he now owes at least $1400 for a flu test...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/hea...240476806.html

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    The advice in the UK is not to do this anyway. I think this raises something I've found shows a difference between our countries as I see American members getting tested for flu which a GP here won't do. I'm not sure nowadays but I've never heard of anyone being tested for flu and the GP would diagnose from symptoms. Other's may be able to clarify but anything cold related my surgery have noticed up to head for a pharmacy instead as a minor ailment and I suspect unless you really need help it will be home go bed for the week.

The advice here is to self isolate and go nowhere near any medical facility. It will only be those who progress in severity that need treatment since antibiotics don't work and symptoms are treated to allow the body to combat the virus.

It's pretty obvious our NHS were being cautious by taking in infected patients who have later said it was little more than a cold to them. Therefore self isolation would have been enough for them. So for hopefully most Americans perhaps they won't be hit with a bill since no treatment may take place?

But yes I think your government should step in on the costs in cases where for public safety precautionary measures are taken which turn out to be needed or not so as to stop people worrying about making the choice to lumber themselves with a bill. But I also wonder about overkill and at what point should doctors be turning someone away from expensive tests in an industry with many problems with over testing. In this case the patient made a diagnostic call out of financial reasons that turned out to be correct but the doctors were rubbing their hands at expensive testing.

I'm feeling really worried about this now. Everyone is acting like it's the end of the world

Also I'm feeling a bit unwell today so obviously I'm scared I have it

Not cold symptoms but I have a mild feeling of nausea

Probably caused by worrying

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    I'm feeling really worried about this now. Everyone is acting like it's the end of the world
    Just like they do every time it snows, Toby. We get media headlines about killer storms and the country grinding to a halt. The reality is we all carry on going to work because whilst the media might think it's the end of the world you will find it isn't a valid excuse not to turn up to work

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Just like they do every time it snows, Toby. We get media headlines about killer storms and the country grinding to a halt. The reality is we all carry on going to work because whilst the media might think it's the end of the world you will find it isn't a valid excuse not to turn up to work
    When do you think all of this might end?

Toby, I get where you're coming from but this is nothing. I have the shakes this morning because I saw there was a low-grade weather warning for ice and I have to walk to work, but I recognise that

1) I've stepped outside the door and there's no ice
    2) Even if this changes in the next hour and a half, it's still not a big deal because
    3) Even if it was really bad I could always just get a cab, and
    4) A fall on ice is highly unlikely to do me major damage anyway

Fear is horrible, but not all fears are logical and you need to work on dismissing the illogical ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    Everyone who is panicking on this thread may be acting like it's the end of the world but it's business as usual outside. We are fortunate to be in the UK and can panic if we choose to or get on with our lives and be sensible as regards staying clear of any viruses which may be doing the rounds.

Page 93 of 384 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread Information