Page 9 of 384 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus worries?

Re: Coronavirus worries?

I can assure you Pulisa that a crisis doesn't appeal to me, I've got more than enough on my plate without choosing to add more.

For anyone else looking for reassurance - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...se/4564133002/

I know that you have a lot to occupy you, Fishman and my comment was aimed more at those who have a bit too much time on their hands. It's a distraction but it has repercussions.

Im not sure if youtube links are allowed on here but this video helped me -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aerq4byr7ps

Quote Originally Posted by Toby2000 View Post
    I’m feeling really doomed and scared

I’m out right now with family but I just feel like going home and crying because I feel like this really is it. I’ve tried to be rational but perhaps I’ve been convinced by the scaremongering, I don’t know

What’s worse is that I have had some mild stomach upset over the past few days

AND I HAD CHINESE FOOD a couple of nights ago. Tell me I’m being stupid? I’m sooo scared
    If you were eating it in China then you might have something to consider but since we don't even have any confirmed cases in the UK wouldn't it seem irrational? And why would it be from food?

There are many illnesses people can die from yet everyone is panicking about this one. This has killed very few people, far less than the many things that kill people in the UK every year. Why is this? Could it be that the media are plastering it wall-to-wall and not telling anyone about all those other boring causes they are aren't currently interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Terry and Pulisa, thank goodness for your common sense and rational thinking. I was ok about this whole thing on Friday, in fact took Dad to hossy for his macular degeneration treatment. But yesterday things went downhill after reading news reports of how the Chinese were struggling to contain this coronavirus etc. So last night on going to bed I was in the blackest mood ever, totally resigned to losing Mrs F and my Dad after the contagion had swept through the UK like the bubonic plague once did.

But thank you both, I have some hope now. Crikey I never used to be like this, I don't even remember the SARS outbreak in 2002/03 let alone panic over it. Or wasn't it in the news?

PS - yes the Daily Mail seems to be reporting this outbreak with 'glee' almost?
    Yeah, that's the Mail's business model so they are bound to be like that. Just like how they make so much out of celeb news so will be high fiving each other because someone's marriage has broken up.

That's the thing with the media thought isn't it? You get a sense for how they report so know how they will respond. Read The Mirror and expect anti Tory reporting, read The Telegraph and expect anti Labour reporting, read The Guardian and expect much clutching off left wing pearls, read The Express and expect the country's wrongs to be because of foreigners.

That makes me think of something else too. The media are very biased when it comes to countries or leaders they oppose. With this being China how can we rule out overreporting simply because the US are not on the best of terms with them? I think with the likes of the Mail they are rubbing their hand with glee as you say because it's a scary story they can whip up but the more political rags might be inclined to run China down a bit

The media is jumping in with both feet on this one. I said before, when I first saw the story, I left a comment that the HA/anxiety boards would be blowing up and just like the other health scares over the last several years, that proved to be the case. In fact, my initial comment has garnered several hundred thumbs up.

It's a virus. Like a cold or the flu. In fact, it's much less serious than the actual influenza virus (flu) or the past SARS outbreaks and such. Yeah, if you end up getting it, you'll feel like shite but you'll recover. That said, I expect the coverage of the story to increase and the number of threads and posts to do the same.

Bottom line is common sense hygiene, and limes

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 26-01-20 at 20:52.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

CoronaVirus

Now I get what you’re all thinking, but hear me out. I’m actually not worried about myself with this. I’m worried about my mom. She’s a flight attendant, and although she doesn’t fly China lately, the virus is spreading and I’m extremely worried she’s going to catch it, especially because it takes 2 weeks to show symptoms. I’m so scared for her, I want to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    The media is jumping in with both feet on this one. I said before, when I first saw the story, I left a comment that the HA/anxiety boards would be blowing up and just like the other health scares over the last several years, that proved to be the case. In fact, my initial comment has garnered several hundred thumbs up.

It's a virus. Like a cold or the flu. In fact, it's much less serious than the actual influenza virus (flu) or the past SARS outbreaks and such. Yeah, if you end up getting it, you'll feel like shite but you'll recover. That said, I expect the coverage of the story to increase and the number of threads and posts to do the same.

Bottom line is common sense hygiene, and limes

Positive thoughts
    I appreciate this but it's the passing of the virus transmitted others while not showing symptoms which is the scary thing

Re: CoronaVirus

Quote Originally Posted by Slsheeba567 View Post
    Now I get what you’re all thinking, but hear me out. I’m actually not worried about myself with this. I’m worried about my mom. She’s a flight attendant, and although she doesn’t fly China lately, the virus is spreading and I’m extremely worried she’s going to catch it, especially because it takes 2 weeks to show symptoms. I’m so scared for her, I want to cry.
    Slsheeba567, I can understand your fears and of course you will be worried. However I read that the median age for people who have died of the Wuhan virus is 75, and they tended to have underlying health conditions too. So elderly people in poor health. I hope that gives you some comfort.

Re: CoronaVirus

Thank you fishman, that does make me feel better!

Page 9 of 384 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread Information